Smoke detector in trailer at site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van87D

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It's a trailer consist of laundry, recreational room, office rooms, utility room, kitchen.
Classified as "support area for emergency use". It's part of trailer park dedicated for homeless people.
Question is what are minimum requirement for smoke detector?
Should we put smoke detector in each room?
No sprinkler of course. No full coverage FA system.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The NEC has an article on mobile homes, your application may not be under the scope of the NEC. I would check with your building official. And smoke detectors are inexpensive (unless a monitored fire alarm system is required)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The NEC has an article on mobile homes, your application may not be under the scope of the NEC. I would check with your building official. And smoke detectors are inexpensive (unless a monitored fire alarm system is required)
Are you talking about NFPA 501?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
No the NEC article, its 550 or so.
I need to look at its scope to see if it applies.this trailer is more like an office trailer.

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Art 550 covers mobile homes and mobile home parks, a mobile home is defined as a dwelling unit, so in the OP post question, the NEC does not apply to the trailer in question. What I don't know is what standard would be used for wiring that type of trailer?

gadfly56

Occupation
Art 550 covers mobile homes and mobile home parks, a mobile home is defined as a dwelling unit, so in the OP post question, the NEC does not apply to the trailer in question. What I don't know is what standard would be used for wiring that type of trailer?
It has a kitchen, a bathroom, and a place to park your carcass (rec room). What more does it need to be a dwelling?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It has a kitchen, a bathroom, and a place to park your carcass (rec room). What more does it need to be a dwelling?
It's a trailer consist of laundry, recreational room, office rooms, utility room, kitchen.

I don't see where the OP said it had a bathroom.

This is what the code says a dwelling is.
Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent
living facilities for one or more persons, including
permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

I would treat it like an installation that was not a trailer.

gadfly56

Occupation
I don't see where the OP said it had a bathroom.

This is what the code says a dwelling is.

I would treat it like an installation that was not a trailer.
You are correct, I some how assumed there was a bathroom. If there isn't, then clearly not a dwelling unit.

I have access to all the NFPA codes and standards, and none of them seem to deal with office trailers, nor could I find anything in a quick look in the building code. Google also didn't return anything useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.