Smoke Dampers and Associated Detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

NPOW

New User
Occupation
Systems Integrator
Hey All,

As we know, smoke dampers require detection within 5 feet or smoke detection in the area fed by the damper.

I am looking for tips and advice as to how people are accounting for this when estimating fire alarm systems.

Having a duct detector within 5 feet of every single damper can have a huge impact on the overall price. If I account for all of them I can price myself out of a project. If I guess, I could be on the hook for a ton of duct detectors and lose money on the project...

How are people approaching this? Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hey All,

As we know, smoke dampers require detection within 5 feet or smoke detection in the area fed by the damper.

I am looking for tips and advice as to how people are accounting for this when estimating fire alarm systems.

Having a duct detector within 5 feet of every single damper can have a huge impact on the overall price. If I account for all of them I can price myself out of a project. If I guess, I could be on the hook for a ton of duct detectors and lose money on the project...

How are people approaching this? Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!
The straight up version of the International Mechanical Code allows skipping the duct detectors if the entire area served by the duct system is covered by smoke detection and the AHU's shutdown and the FSD's close on any of them detecting smoke. See section 607.3.3.2(5). See also the items (1) through (4). This can get much more complicated if you have smoke control involved.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
A good way to aproach this is look at the mechanical prints AND schedules...then, there isn't any surprises..

farmantenna

I'm just an electrician so I don't have the credentials to just eliminate something an engineer has put on the plans so they're put in the budget. All the multi family and hotel buildings I've done had them

farmantenna

The straight up version of the International Mechanical Code allows skipping the duct detectors if the entire area served by the duct system is covered by smoke detection and the AHU's shutdown and the FSD's close on any of them detecting smoke. See section 607.3.3.2(5). See also the items (1) through (4). This can get much more complicated if you have smoke control involved.
I just read this. Interesting. So as an electrician to you the engineer why do the engineers always draw the same dampers with duct detectors or SDs in the ducts? What I just read came to mind when doing my past projects but I don't have the knowledge of all the different codes or have ...

Status
Not open for further replies.