Smart Breakers for Load Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

iustacould

Occupation
Lead Electrical Contractor
Looking for ideas and opinions on Smart breakers for whole home energy profiles. Just starting up a PV branch of the company so looking into solutions. Primarily using Enphase and Sonnen for Solar and Storage with Briggs and Stratton standby generators. Whats your "go to" breaker/panel combinations for this type of situation?

BandGap1.1eV

I would expect throttling the power sources rather than shedding load may be easier for a residential application. That's all done at the BMS level, assuming Enphase has the ability to integrate energy meters into their setup. Throw a set of 200A CT's on the mains coming into the house and allow Enphase to throttle the PV array to match demand.

Are you trying to inplement a zero export strategy?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If you're using Sonnen you should probably use the company that they have a partnership with because they'll provide support for your application. I think it's the Pantech Adapt product. But I've not installed it.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I would expect throttling the power sources rather than shedding load may be easier for a residential application. That's all done at the BMS level, assuming Enphase has the ability to integrate energy meters into their setup. Throw a set of 200A CT's on the mains coming into the house and allow Enphase to throttle the PV array to match demand.

Are you trying to inplement a zero export strategy?

To my knowledge Enphase doesn't really support a zero export option for PV. Although I suspect it's a undocumented feature because they are able to throttle thr array in a offgrid situation with their Ensemble components. Consumption monitoring CTs are offered by Enphase, but I don't think they integrate with any third party load shedding product.

Status
Not open for further replies.