Smart 3 way switch

Sovereign

Occupation
Electrician
I have a set of lights on a single pole switch and another set of lights on another single pole switch. Neutrals at both points. One switch has a 2nd story over it. Is there any smart 3 way switch that can turn on both loads from one location without travelers. Trying to avoid cutting holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck Parrish

I have a set of lights on a single pole switch and another set of lights on another single pole switch. Neutrals at both points. One switch has a 2nd story over it. Is there any smart 3 way switch that can turn on both loads from one location without travelers. Trying to avoid cutting holes.

If you could tie the switch legs together then the answer is yes. x10 and RF switches. Hence master and slave switch.

You could still have them both controlled from one location. But you might have to add another smart switch. So instead of two you would need four smart switches.
Their are probably other ways to do it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are you looking to switch them all from both switch locations as a single group, or are you looking to have two switches at each switch location and continue to have separate control of each group of lights?

Sovereign

Occupation
Electrician
Are you looking to switch them all from both switch locations as a single group, or are you looking to have two switches at each switch location and continue to have separate control of each group of lights?

Either switch like a 3 way without running a wire for 2 different loads or from one location for 2 different loads

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Either switch like a 3 way without running a wire for 2 different loads or from one location for 2 different loads
:unsure: I don't think my question was answered.

I understand the 3-way equivalency, but not keeping the light groups separate.

Sovereign

Occupation
Electrician
:unsure: I don't think my question was answered.

I understand the 3-way equivalency, but not keeping the light groups separate.

I would perfer for 2 separate loads to be switched from one location on one switch

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would perfer for 2 separate loads to be switched from one location on one switch
I'm sorry, but I'm still confused by your answer.

Are you saying switch all of the lights as a single group, and from two places?

If they're on one switch, or one pair of 3-ways, they won't be separate loads.

Or would just one switch to control all of the lights be okay?

Do you know whether they are they all on one circuit now?

synchro

Occupation
EE
I agree with Larry that it is not completely clear what is desired.
Could you use one Pico remote to control two Caseta switches (which could each be on a different circuit since the Pico connects wirelessly)?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with Larry that it is not completely clear what is desired.
Could you use one Pico remote to control two Caseta switches (which could each be on a different circuit since the Pico connects wirelessly)?
Ideally, what would work is a pair of in-wall transmitters that also receive and control.

As an old fart, I'm more familiar with X-10 than more modern systems.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I think he is saying he wants both light circuits to be controlled by one switch. They currently are in different locations and on separate SP switches.
If this is true, I don't see a way without adding 2 smart switches or running wires.
As was mentioned, a Pico remote and Caseta master switch. I don't know that you can control two differnt Casetas with the same Pico. You put the switch and Pico in learning mode to pair up. If you do that to a 2nd Caseta, I would think it would override the initial setting.
I would do two Casetas and two Picos.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I believe Pico remotes are transmit only and cannot receive, and so they would not be changed or affected by the pairing process. The Pico would have its own factory-set fixed digital code. A master Caseta would receive the code for a specific Pico device during the pairing process, and it would be programmed to respond to that particular code. I don't think there would be a limit to how many master Caseta devices could be paired with one Pico due to the wireless link, as long as they are in the coverage range.

The Pico is similar to a TV remote and is transmit-only so that it can be simple and cheap. Also, the Pico only requires battery power when a button is pushed, and it does not have to monitor the wireless link continuously like the master Caseta does. This allows a the Pico to use a button cell and get acceptable life out of it.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You definitely can use a Pico to control multiple Caseta switches. I've done it. You effectively just create a scene with the two hardwired switches/dimmers and use the Pico to turn that scene on and off, no bridge required. I used the PJ2-4B, but it looks like the PJ2-2B-G or PJ2-P2B would probably be more appropriate.

I've also used Insteon dimmers/switches (2477D/2477S) a lot in the past for this. They can act as a load control, and as a wireless receiver, and as a wireless transmitter. So with 2 devices you could setup a virtual 3way where both loads are individually wired as single poles. Insteon also has little wireless controllers you could put inside a jbox but probably not necessary for this application.

Rob G, Seattle

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Not wireless but Sound like an application that is fitting for an old school contactor switching. Low voltage switches to contactor relay. It had the ability to turn on or off any or all lights tied into the system depending on how you configured it.

I do see listed 2 pole wireless. Not sure of configuration or if the 2 pole must be at source or can be at remote location.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Pico’s can controls multiple master switches, forgot the amount way beyond 10 switches. Do it all the time when kitchen cut in half and I got to kitchen under cabinets lights that have the lighting circuit not tied together .

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I used to routinely do this with the Legrand LC2201 RF switch; you could pair two of them together wirelessly (900mhz RF) without the need for a hub. They have been discontinued and replaced with Legrand’s new zigbee model, but that version doesn’t support binding multiple wired devices the same way the RFLC devices did. There are still some retailers selling them online though.

Legrand now offers a pre-paired wired & wireless zigbee switch. You could install a wired smart switch at each location, and place the paired wireless switch of the other load next to the wired switch.

Another option would be to replace the lamps with Philips Hue, and install the wireless switch modules behind each mechanical switch and create a virtual 3-way in the Hue app.

I have both the Legrand and Hue devices in my house if you have any questions. There are ways to create virtual 3-ways with the wired Zigbee switches from Legrand, but it involves other software and bridges, and if this is a customers‘ house and not your own personal house, i wouldn’t recommend going through the trouble.

Legrand does also have a Wi-Fi smart switch, but i can’t remember if you are able to bind those together in the app to work as a single load. I’ve installed them, and they work just fine, but i don’t have that app on my phone now to be able to tell you the options. You could call their tech support and ask; the help desk is in PA and those guys are pretty well trained on their products.