Sloped ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Headroom

Occupation
General Building Contractor/Electrical Contractor
I have a ceiling which is sloped, not sure but maybe aout a 4/12 pitch. The room is a fair sized residential living room, not huge but maybe 300-400 sq ft. The existing lighting is 7 X 4" cans with low voltage GU10 lamps. My plan was to open the ceiling, remove the old fixtures and install some new construction 6" cans, is the slope something I should be concerned about? I am wondering how these sloped cans by ELCO (model #EL970ICA) would function verses a gimbal or maybe a halo trim from Home depot.
The simple Home Depot 6' can would probably be my choice for convience and cost but what about the slope, would it cause the light to be too glaring?
I need to keep the budget on the low end. The sloped inserts for the ELCO's are probably too expensive, any suggestions? Thank you

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why would you change 4" recessed lights to 6"? Why not put 4" retrofit LED trims into the existing lights? The transformer can easily be bypassed. The light spread on standard LED retrofit trims is usually very wide so you can get by with straight trims on a 4/12 (18.5 degree) pitch. If the customer prefers straight down use an adjustable trim.

Max Headroom

Occupation
General Building Contractor/Electrical Contractor
Why would you change 4" recessed lights to 6"? Why not put 4" retrofit LED trims into the existing lights? The transformer can easily be bypassed. The light spread on standard LED retrofit trims is usually very wide so you can get by with straight trims on a 4/12 (18.5 degree) pitch. If the customer prefers straight down use an adjustable trim.
OK so that was my first idea, leave the cans and put a 4" retrofir LED into the can but the feed from the transformer (two wires inside of something like FMC) wouldn't those also need to be replaced, I'm not sure what type they are but they might not be ok for 120 volts? So would you just fish in something like THHN 12 awg or some type of fixture wire? It's a 20 amp circuit.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread. If you are not an electrician, we are not permitted to assist you in performing your own electrical installation or maintenance work.

If installing stuff is not your occupation, then we can’t help you install stuff. You would have had to agree with that rule during the process of registering on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.