Sleeve for 2/0- 2/0- 2/0-1 SER cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I want to sleeve some 2/0-2/0-2/0-1 SER cable for a 125 amp panel feeder. The sleeve will be 4' long straight no sweeps or LBs etc. The area of the cable comes out to 1.25 sq inches. 2" EMT @53% for 1 wire comes out to 1.778 area. 1 1/2" EMT @1.079 would be too small

Is this the correct way to do this? It seems awfully big. Is there any way to downsize it and still be compliant
Thanks,
ED

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You can use 1.5" if you strip off the cable jacket.

I just did that to use 1.25" PVC for 2-2-2-4 SER.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Would you just sleeve it or us an EMT box connector, a rigid coupling and a SER box connector when entering the sleeve?
I used the PVC as a complete conduit assembly, from an ATS to a generator. SER must be in the jacket if exposed.

I used an offset male adapter at the ATS and a standard male adapter (plus an O-ring) at the generator enclosure.

I did the same thing from the meter to the ATS, using two offset male adapters, and I removed the bare SER wire.

1603663519775.png

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
What code section requires a fill calculation for a sleeve for a cable?

That's kind of my question. When pulling multiple 18 gauge schielded cable in a pipe I used to get the OD of the cable and figure it like it was a single wire. Of course that isn't a sleeve.

On this job I am installing a surface mounted panel with a pipe out of the bottom down through the floor. I just want to sleeve the SER up into the panel. What's the right way to size it? Whatever will fit? The cable has an area of 1.25 so it should go through a straight piece of 1 1/4 with no bends with the jacket on so I guess either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 will work. If you figure it as a single wire it's 2"

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Thought I had this resolved in my head after @infinity post that make perfect sense to me. But I guess the code isn't about making sense. but.................after reading 3125.C (2020)exception their appears a bunch of things to comply with which makes what I want to do non compliant.

For one thing cables can only enter the top of an enclosure.( That;s a problem wanted to come up from the basement into the bottom of a panel)

Sleeves must be a minimum of 18" and a max of 10' (this one is ok)

Cable sheath must be continuous (can't strip it to make more room)

Cable fill must be calculated as if it is a complete conduit or tubing system and note #2 to the table in chapter 9 does not apply (would require a 2" sleeve for 2/0-2/0-2/0-1/0 SER

So I would have to mount the panel which is surface mounted. Come up through the floor with a 2" sleeve to about the top of the panel and then loop the cable up and back down into the panel.

or am I missing something

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thought I had this resolved in my head after @infinity post that make perfect sense to me. But I guess the code isn't about making sense. but.................after reading 3125.C (2020)exception their appears a bunch of things to comply with which makes what I want to do non compliant.

For one thing cables can only enter the top of an enclosure.( That;s a problem wanted to come up from the basement into the bottom of a panel)

Sleeves must be a minimum of 18" and a max of 10' (this one is ok)

Cable sheath must be continuous (can't strip it to make more room)

Cable fill must be calculated as if it is a complete conduit or tubing system and note #2 to the table in chapter 9 does not apply (would require a 2" sleeve for 2/0-2/0-2/0-1/0 SER

So I would have to mount the panel which is surface mounted. Come up through the floor with a 2" sleeve to about the top of the panel and then loop the cable up and back down into the panel.

or am I missing something
Just end the sleeve short of the panel and use a SE cable connector to enter the panel.

Buck Parrish

Just end the sleeve short of the panel and use a SE cable connector to enter the panel.
That's what I would do. If your goal is to physically protect the panel ,,,, Unless it's in an area where you want it to look like all conduit. I've brought 5 in the top of panels sleeved like that using a pvc connector and pvc up past the sheet rock into the attic. It looks nicer

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
The reason code is indicating cable entering thru top of panel when using a sleeve is that it is allowing for unsecured entry of multiple cables. If entry unsecured from bottom strain of cables weight is on the devices. But if you do as @infinity suggested I wouldn't see an issue entering bottom as long as cable is securely supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.