Single Family Dwelling Emergency Disconnect? 2020 NEC 230.85

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I've been rereading 2020 NEC 230.85 Emergency Disconnects. I'm trying to tease out an understanding of 230.85 as it applies to a property near me.

The property has three structures: a single family Dwelling, a detached single car garage, and a detached ceramics studio. The dwelling has its own electrical service, and no work is being done to it.

The ceramics studio has its own 100 Amp 240 / 120 Volt service that is being bumped to 200 Amps to handle a new kiln. The structure that is the Ceramics Studio is a single room with natural gas heat, but no water or sewer.

Do you think this ceramics studio is required to comply with 2020 NEC 230.85?

sw_ross

I just installed a service to a shop building in a residential situation. The shop building is for general “typical” shop usage. Not living quarters. It actually has a bathroom. I think the HO works on vehicles (not commercially as a business, just personal). It was basically a glorified detached garage.

I had originally bought a main breaker disconnect box for the outside of the building to satisfy the new code, but after talking with the AHJ he said since it’s not a residence it isn’t required.

I just LB’d through to the panel like normal.
it was a 200 amp service.

kwired

Electron manager
The rule says one and two family dwellings. It doesn't mention dwelling accessory buildings (that may happen to have their own service at times). If they intend to include accessory buildings then I believe they need to add them to the wording.

Some sort of combination use building with a dwelling unit within IMO doesn't fit their wording either, and needs changed if they intend it to be included as well.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
. . . after talking with the AHJ he said since it’s not a residence it isn’t required. . .
I finally got a hold of the Electrical Inspector for the property I describe above, and he said the same thing as your AHJ. The language of the Emergency Disconnect rule ( 2020 NEC 230.85 ), and the Article 100 Definition of Dwelling Unit, make it clear that the ceramics studio, I describe above, with its own electrical service, does not require an emergency disconnect.

kwired

Electron manager
I finally got a hold of the Electrical Inspector for the property I describe above, and he said the same thing as your AHJ. The language of the Emergency Disconnect rule ( 2020 NEC 230.85 ), and the Article 100 Definition of Dwelling Unit, make it clear that the ceramics studio, I describe above, with its own electrical service, does not require an emergency disconnect.
Something tells me they are just easing this disconnect requirement in and are starting with single (and I believe two family also included) dwellings. Future code may very well also at least include dwelling accessory buildings if not even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.