Signal ground, seperate source ground, distribution cent

Status
Not open for further replies.

britt.bare

I have my main commercial power 440VAC/50HZ feeding a motor generator(Transform/converts 120VAC/60HZ), to a power disribution box (with a seperate backup generator with ATS), to an UPS, out to my communications load which will need signal grounds. This is all within a close proximatey of each other, approximately 30'x50' area. This is all mobile equipment.

Where exactly should I be connecting my signal ground, ATS ground, etc. Should all the grounds go back to my motor generator or power distribution box or should I drive an isolated triangle/ground system. Britt G. Bare

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: Signal ground, seperate source ground, distribution cent

Britt, I will try to help you out. I am not 100% sure I understand your setup if it is on a trailer or a building.

I suggest you establish a "Principle Ground Point Bus" like we use in the telecom industry. The PGPB should be located near but adjacent to the service equipment. The PGPB connects all the ground electrodes to form a single point ground. Use all electrodes availible like water pipe, building steel, ground rods, ground rings, etc.

Then from your PGPB you originate all your GEC'S for your seperately derived systems like your M-G, UPS, generator if SDS, transformers, etc.

You then originate the signal ground from the PGPB.

Under no circumstances would you use an isolated ground system as you descibed.

Status
Not open for further replies.