Siding completed before electrical inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I still don't know what good a 3 inch nail does when it comes to securing siding unless you were penetrating maybe 1.5 inches of foam insulation before hitting something solid.

Can't make rules to cover every stupid thing other trades might do.

As well as what might be done in the future after the house is completed. If you are shooting nails into a wall and don't understand that there are things like wiring and plumbing within, you don't belong doing that kind of work.

I believe in the WAC it states you must have 2.5" of clearance between cabling in studs and the face where the siding goes if you wire before siding... Probably easy to do with 2x6 walls. Impossible with 2x4.

Requirements like this just encourage the use of untrained siding installers. Why should we have to be responsible for sloppy workmanship by another trade? After a few instances of workers damaging wiring or plumbing and the siding company having to pay for repairs, you can bet they will be better educated. How much effort does it take for the siding foreman to walk around in the house and make note of possible problem areas?

-Hal

norcal

With the original question, as long as one side of the wall is open it should not matter, sometimes it can make drilling more difficult since it is easier to drill a outside corner with no siding installed, but overall it is fine.

kwired

Electron manager
I've been on many projects over the years where siding maybe never got installed until sometime after interior walls were finished and painted.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I wired a cabin where the interior and exterior finish was rough saw board and batten, builder used 16d nails! County did not have inspections until 20 years later. I was chasing shorts for days!

Status
Not open for further replies.