Siding completed before electrical inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

I am in Washington state and from what I understand I am supposed to have my siding done before I call for an electrical inspection. I think it might be a Washington thing but was curious if there is actually NEC? If not, is it common in other places?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Usually the structure needs to be weather tight before you install your wiring and boxes. You might have some jurisdictions that allow rough-in without windows or siding but you definitely have to have a completed roof.

The NEC requirements would come from those articles that specify under what conditions your wiring can be used, IE: NMB in dry locations only.

-Hal

Last edited:

JoeNorm

I always thought the siding requirement was to make sure a fastener doesn't pierce an already installed wire or box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am in Washington state and from what I understand I am supposed to have my siding done before I call for an electrical inspection. I think it might be a Washington thing but was curious if there is actually NEC? If not, is it common in other places?
What kind of inspection, a rough inspection?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Its a state code rule, seems like it was adopted july 2019. In my clases I always suggested to subscribe to the monthly newsletter from L&I electrical. Also stake holders meetings with the chief are starting soon, attend one if you can. Our electrical rules, wac 296-46b superceed the nec so they are good to know.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I believe in the WAC it states you must have 2.5" of clearance between cabling in studs and the face where the siding goes if you wire before siding. This is higher than the 1.25" stated in the NEC. Probably easy to do with 2x6 walls. Impossible with 2x4.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The NEC does not even require inspections.

kwired

Electron manager
I still don't know what good a 3 inch nail does when it comes to securing siding unless you were penetrating maybe 1.5 inches of foam insulation before hitting something solid.

Can't make rules to cover every stupid thing other trades might do.

480sparky

I still don't know what good a 3 inch nail does when it comes to securing siding unless you were penetrating maybe 1.5 inches of foam insulation before hitting something solid.

Can't make rules to cover every stupid thing other trades might do.

They run out of 1½" nails and don't want to run to the lumber yard and they have 3-inchers in the truck.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I believe in the WAC it states you must have 2.5" of clearance between cabling in studs and the face where the siding goes if you wire before siding. This is higher than the 1.25" stated in the NEC. Probably easy to do with 2x6 walls. Impossible with 2x4.
And also you can use a 1/16" steel plate if you can't make the setback. Keep in mind this these are alternatives if you don't get the exterior siding inspection first, then wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.