shower lighting: wet vs. approved for use in showers

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEC 410.10(D) addresses lighting use in showers: essentially is must be "wet location".
I recall being called out at one time in the distant past on another standard that is evading all efforts to be found:

In addition to being "wet location", the fixture has to be "Approved For Use In Showers" (maybe a UL / NRTA standard?)

... any exposed metal on the room side of the fixture (ex; a metal overlap trim flange) has to be electrically isolated from ground (which could integral to the fixture's desicn and/or construction, or be achieved with no more than a manufacturer supplied foam gasket between the trim and the housing, provide the mounting clips did not 'connect' either.)

--> Is this a real thing, a thing of the past, or maybe no more than a flawed memory?

be well, stay healthy,
with many thanks in advance, m.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A light in the shower must be approved for damp location unless it is subject to spray. From that section

Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub
or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top
of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for
damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to
shower spray

agreed, that part i get; it is NEC 410.10(D)

what i'm inquiring about is an additional code(?) from a different authority (just as there is both NFPA and NEC jurasdiction; i'm thinking that this requeirement would fall under a UL standard, or Health Life and Saftey code, or some other less frequently referenced standard.)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The requirement is that if it's within the shower zone it must be listed for damp locations unless it's subject to shower spray then it must listed for wet locations. If it's outside of the zone then it doesn't require either damp or wet listing.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
agreed, that part i get; it is NEC 410.10(D)

what i'm inquiring about is an additional code(?) from a different authority (just as there is both NFPA and NEC jurasdiction; i'm thinking that this requeirement would fall under a UL standard, or Health Life and Saftey code, or some other less frequently referenced standard.)

There is nothing, to my knowledge other than the NEC on this issue.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
From the UL white book:

Ceiling-insert fans, wall-insert fans, and ceiling-insert fan/light combinations marked ‘‘Acceptable for use over a bathtub or shower when installed
in a GFCI protected branch circuit’’ are intended for use anywhere within a
bathroom ceiling surface, including over bathtubs, showers, or within the
zone above the bathtub and shower area as defined by Article 410 of the
NEC. These products are investigated to determine the effects of moisture
(dampness or wetting), such as shower spray. Products without this marking are intended for use anywhere within a bathroom ceiling surface,
excluding the area directly above the footprint of the bathtub or shower

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
From the UL white book:

Ceiling-insert fans, wall-insert fans, and ceiling-insert fan/light combinations marked ‘‘Acceptable for use over a bathtub or shower when installed
in a GFCI protected branch circuit’’ are intended for use anywhere within a
bathroom ceiling surface, including over bathtubs, showers, or within the
zone above the bathtub and shower area as defined by Article 410 of the
NEC. These products are investigated to determine the effects of moisture
(dampness or wetting), such as shower spray. Products without this marking are intended for use anywhere within a bathroom ceiling surface,
excluding the area directly above the footprint of the bathtub or shower

Not sure what that has to do with the questioned asked. We are talking about lights. Fans must be marked as suitable over a shower. I am sure there are some fans not marked but I have never seen one that stated you cannot use over a shower. If there is gfci protection almost all fans are rated for it assuming it is not getting water in it.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The OP is describing the requirements in 680.43(B)(1)(c)(1). This would not apply to showers unless the shower is part of an indoor spa/hot tub.

mwm1752

If you are describing a recess cab the fixture trim as Dennis describes could be an open fixture rated as damp if it is above the zone, if within the zone then subject to spray comes into play - you could put a keyless inside an enclosed shower if the fixture was above the 8" - I tried to insert a code change but NFPA reply that the is no historical or documented evidence it was a hazard.

mwm1752

Maybe not a strict code requirement, but there are light fixtures marketed as being "shower lights".

Here is one from Acuity that states it has a "dead front". I assume that means a plastic trim without any exposed metal parts that could possibly become energized.

I'd say the wet location is the key in the specs - you can install a wet location fixture anywhere in the shower

Status
Not open for further replies.