Shoulder Over-Use Injury Prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

Does anyone know of any good techniques or appliances that will prevent shoulder over-use injury for yourself or your employees. Seems like some electricians do a lot of repetitive hunching forward while doing electrical work, driving, writing, and using computer and cell phone. Would not be surprised if shoulder issues could creep up eventually. Maybe an appliance that one can wear around the upper back and chest to keep the upper body properly aligned would be the ticket. Call it the electrician's jacket :)

Thanks,

ritelec

After right and left rotator surgeries (right getting messed up again). Don't over reach, get and use the step ladder.

hmmm... now on to the knees and back :- )

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If you come up with something please post..

after three rotator cuff surgeries (right,left,right) I don’t think I can go through another one.
as mentioned before.. painful

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If you come up with something please post..

after three rotator cuff surgeries (right,left,right) I don’t think I can go through another one.
as mentioned before.. painful
Sounds like Howard Cosell calling a fight! :ROFLMAO:

Ravenvalor

So I went to the ortho clinic yesterday. My general practitioner happens to have his office there. He took a look at my shoulder, tested how far it would move, stuck his thumb into some muscles and determined that I did not have a torn rotator cuff. He diagnosed my problem as 'Myofascial Trigger Point (Probably the Rhomboid Muscles). Told me to stop using ice and NSAIDs. Instructed me to have my wife stick her thumb into the muscle and forcefully break it up. That and or push a tennis ball into the area by pressing my back against a wall with tennis ball at muscle. He said the science is not well known but it is believed that you want inflammation in the area to break up that muscle group.
Been doing some research on this topic and found a good website I believe. https://triggerpointselfhelp.com/rhomboid-trigger-points-and-referred-pain-patterns/

Going to go to Walmart today and see if they have a shoulder harness that will correct my posture.

Thanks for the advice.

BTW. My doctor does not like rotator cuff surgery.

kwired

Electron manager
Wasn't my shoulder but one time had persisting pain for weeks in lower part of one arm that didn't seem to want to go away.

Daughter of a friend is a massage therapist. Decided to have her try to do something with it. She worked it pretty hard, hurt worse than before for at least a few hours. She said it would do that though. Came back and did it again a few days later. It cleared it up eventually.

Ravenvalor

Wasn't my shoulder but one time had persisting pain for weeks in lower part of one arm that didn't seem to want to go away.

Daughter of a friend is a massage therapist. Decided to have her try to do something with it. She worked it pretty hard, hurt worse than before for at least a few hours. She said it would do that though. Came back and did it again a few days later. It cleared it up eventually.

Sounds like a trigger point. Amazing that some things respond positively to stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.