Should I or shouldn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff43222

My sister just bought her first house, and of course, it needs some electrical work. Nothing unusual -- 240V circuit for the dryer, some GFCIs, etc. I do this kind of thing all the time as a contractor, and she asked me if I could do the work if she bought the materials. Money is tight, and she really can't afford to hire it out.

The problem is that my sister lives in another state, and my licenses are only good in the state where I live. I told her there's no way I'm touching the wiring unless it's done under a permit and gets inspected, as required in the city where she lives. I suggested that she could apply for a homeowner's permit, but I also told her to be upfront with the AHJ about my possible involvement. Where I live, relatives are allowed to help under a homeowner's permit, so I figured it might be legal where she lives, too.

I'm wondering if there are any pitfalls I should be aware of in this situation, or should I just refuse to do the work for legal/liability reasons?

nicknorth

Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

Here that is legal to do as long as you dont get any kind of payment for your services. I would say give her the hand she needs.

vasparky27

same here in VA homeowner permits are a good way too go but be careful who you hire if a nonlicences ec asks you too pull it be wary

jimwalker

When pulling a home owner permit you usually will sign something saying that you will not hire any non licensed workers.Your on a fine line here so i suggest you talk to her local building department first.Most likely they will allow it or suggest you say nothing and have her pull it.Meaning they will not care but cant legally tell you its ok.

jeff43222

My sister called me today with an unusual update.

Seems she made a call to her city inspector today, explained the situation, and they told her that I would have to be licensed by the city in order to do any work there. The inspector then told her that if I show proof I hold a master license in my state, they will grant me a city license. My sister has volunteered to pay the $65 license fee. Since she's getting me to do the work for $0 plus materials, it'll still be a lot cheaper than if she had to hire it out.

I never even considered getting licensed there, but if that's what it takes, I'm game. It might be funny to advertise my business as "Licensed statewide, and in a small city 350 miles away in another state." :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Jeff...just help your sister. That is ridiculous. I am endentured to serve my sisters in their stinkin' houses for free, regardless if it's plumbing, electrical, whatever.

The city's trying to get another $65. You're not getting paid, why the heck should you have to pay to help your sister? :roll:

I mean, there's doing the right thing, and letting the right thing get way out of proportion. Unless she's doing it for resale purposes. If it's so she sleeps better at night knowing you've looked at her house and it isn't going to burn down, just do it. IMO.

midget

I agree...this is ridicolus. Just do the work, and tell everyone to be quiet. Shhhhh :p

celtic

As much as I say "Pull a permit, licensed only blah blah blah" - this is an example of where the exception takes hold.

Let your sister pull the permit, while you are doing your thing she can work the grill - the city is not invited to the BBQ.

She's paying for a permit and inspection...what else does the city want? A first born? Know when to say when.

stud696981

I would say just let her pull the home owners permit and do the work. If the city violates something simply return and fix it. You know what you are doing, so just do it and don't worry about it. This is just another way for the city to make $65.

On a side note, and I know a lot of people won't agree with this............but any of my friends and relatives will not even want to consider a permit when I do a job for them. Unless it's a service change over or major construction, we all agree to skip this. Again, this is how it's handled in my family. I'm not saying to skip the permit, but a lot of people I know don't want inspectors coming around their place.

charlie

It is only $65, do it straight up. I don't see the big deal. Sure, the city is going to get an extra few bucks but it keeps everything legal. :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by jeff43222:
The inspector then told her that if I show proof I hold a master license in my state, they will grant me a city license.
I'm pretty sure this person at City Hall was blowing smoke up her skirt. Whether you're licensed in the city or not, you are physically standing in the other state. You'd have to be licensed in the state to perform work. The lady behind the desk at City Hall doesn't have more authority than the state electrical board. :)

jeff43222

Thanks for all the input.

As for her pulling a homeowner's permit and letting me "help" her unofficially, that's not really an option. The inspector may issue a homeowner's permit if the homeowner can prove they can do the work, but there's no obligation to grant one. My sister doesn't know the first thing about electrical work, so she can't get a homeowner's permit. Where I live, however, there are no skill qualifications to get a homeowner's permit. You could be drooling and drunk when you apply, and it wouldn't be denied on those grounds.

As for me getting licensed in her city, it actually does work that way there. Her state has no statewide licensing; individual municipalities decide if someone needs to be licensed and at what level (journeyman, master, contractor). There are state credentials, but they aren't licenses; the only value they have is that municipalities must accept them as qualification for a city license. So if a city says you must be a master electrician to operate there, you must either have a state master credential OR qualify for a city master license under whatever scheme the city has in place (sometimes the city rule is that you must have a state credential). I know of at least one other city in her state that specifically says on their Website that they may grant a city license to someone holding an out-of-state license, so I'd say that the person at city hall my sister talked to was probably not blowing smoke up her skirt.

In the end, it's only $65, and it makes everything nice and legal. It will also let me work on my mom's house, as she lives in the same city. The $65 is still much less than she'd have to pay if my sister hired the work out.

[ May 03, 2005, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: jeff43222 ]

bradleyelectric

my state offers a state license, but it is not a requirement. You can take the state test, or any county test in order to become a master electrician. They all pull from the same pool of questions. The state test is offered any week day and is given on computer that lets you know as soon as you push the button saying you are done whether you passed or need to go study some more. The counties usually offer the test twice a year and will get back to you when they correct the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.