Short time Paralleling in M-T-M configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
I think I am failing to understand something here. It could be terminology but I assume we are talking main-tie-main normal power switch gear. If that is the case, my job responsibilities require I correct my misunderstanding so please bear with any dumb questions.
No problem.

Assume I have rack out mains and tie breaker (I understand that likely changes everything that has been said in this post).

1) Why can't I rack out the tie breaker/switch and service it at anytime when both main feeders are available?
You can rack-out on a live bus as long as any hazards are dealt with appropriately. Servicing the tie-breaker withdrawn is no issue. What is being said in this post is any servicing ON the bus and perhaps in the tie breaker cubicle is prohibited (due to customer safety standards). Note: Per OSHA, it is the employers responsibility to assess the workplace hazard and either permit or prohibit this type of activity based on the amount of liability they are willing to undertake.

2) If both service feeders are available and I can tolerate a "blink", why can't I open a main, close the tie, rack out the open main, and service it at anytime?
There is no reason you cannot perform an open-transition operation if a momentary service interruption is acceptable. This is not always the case as with critical or other continuous process.

3) When both service feeders are available, and both main breakers are closed, wouldn't the open tie breaker/switch have voltage present on both sides of it?
This is correct. Depending on phasing and sequencing of the system, the voltage across the tie breaker could be as high as 2-times the line-to-neutral voltage (not considering mismatched tap changer positions).

FWIW I am at a hospital. We pay the extra money for a non-interruptible POCO source. I expect working POCO ATS's with at least two preferred and one emergency feeder in their vault. All my important loads will have ATS's with generator power and all my really critical loads will have UPS's between those ATS's and loads. Personally I would want to know when something is wrong in the vault/sub station even if it means a partial loss of normal power and the inconvenience of opening a main and closing a tie. If it was automatic I'd be afraid something might go unnoticed. Staffing and skill level isn't what it used to be:(
Loss of utility will result in a service interruption; how could it possibly go unnoticed? The facility would be operating on the emergency source...
Keep in mind, an automatic throw-over scheme (ATO) is not the same as open/closed-transition functionality. Based on the equipment/design, it is possible to have ATO with either open- or closed-transition functionality. Furthermore, it can be set up to either normalize back to or stay in the current configuration when the utility becomes available.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
Yes sir, open transition both directions. That is the only way to avoid having to account for the extra fault current in the downstream short circuit equipment rating. Don't get me wrong, I do have clients that have applications that use closed transition, but many are open.

Interesting. Wouldn’t it be appropriate to account for the extra fault current regardless of open- or closed-transition “at” the ATS location considering the gap between the main contacts of both sources? Pretty sure a fault there wouldn’t be isolated to just one source.

Also, I would think the downstream equipment is not affected by the extra fault current since closed-transition switching duration is approximately 100ms or less and the probability of a downstream fault occurring at the exact same time is practically zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulengr

Feeding a MTM from a common source is what doesn’t make a whole lot of sense...
At the end of the day, there is a common source somewhere, but there needs to be adequate separation of primary feeders.

Can MTM using common sources be done while still offering some advantage? Sure. But this isn’t the proper application of a MTM substation arrangement.

Keep in mind, sync check isn’t only for preventing parallel operation with swapped phases or the rare case where a delta transformer gets installed as you’ve mentioned.

For power transformers with OLTC’s, the voltage between each source can be at different magnitudes due to loading, settings differences or equipment failure. Persisting single phasing conditions may also exist with open fuses. Also consider it may be the utility that has swapped phases in service fed MTM applications. You wouldn’t want to parallel under any of these conditions. I’ve seen them all.

All the functions listed make sense. RELT or bus differential is required per the NEC. Not having MSGF is actually well known to cause both nuisance tripping and desensitized operation on 3PH, 4W systems. ZSI may be the only practical way selectively coordinate with downstream and upstream equipment.

Of course if you do not know how any of these things work and don’t properly set up or commission the system to begin with, you can expect nuisance tripping regardless (minimalist or not).

From a maintenance point of view even double ended gear preferably MTTM especially with arc flash considerations has considerable advantages because you can actually isolate any particular section even to do bus maintenance. The extra tie addresses maintenance on the tie cell itself. Unless you are running say GIS you will eventually have to do cell or bus work. MTM supports isolation of either transformer. Separate sources moves the single failure point further out preferably to another breaker or bus making the whole system no single points of failure. Many designers miss that MTTM detail. I rarely see it so the tie suffers and becomes very unreliable over time.

At the distribution level unless you are running 69 kV (SF6 territory) modern breaker speeds are 3 cycles with a potential for 1 cycle relaying plus at least a half cycle to recognize a fault assuming the designer doesn’t get stupid with lockout relays and isolation relays going to the trip coil so 4.5 cycles is a reasonable minimum opening time. Due to uncertainties between relays with induction disk they used to recommend 0.35 s minimum between switching layers so between the final load device and the first layer even with the fastest devices you were already up against the 30 cycle withstand rating. With modern devices 0.1 second delays between trip curves is not unreasonable.

Partial bus differential tripping isn’t NEC required and you are assuming the tie is a breaker complete with its own over current protection. In many systems the tie is completely manual. It may be just a disconnect switch. I’ve even seen “wired” (bolt together) ties with no gear at all. Utilities often speak of emergency ties here in hurricane prone areas. You still have bus protection in both buses but the protection zone is now larger, both buses are combined. If you do have protection at the tie then you can use the tie to trip on a bus fault on the second bus either by slowing down the mains (usually not a good idea), ZSI (not so bad here within the same switchgear), or partial bus differential relaying. It’s an option, not required. There are other options.

As to ZSI I do switchgear maintenance as a contractor. Power plants, high availability and security facilities, large industrials with cogens, you name it. I have seen abandoned ZSI but no working ZSI. It’s like a pilot wire system...great as long as the manufacturer doesn’t obsolete it and parts are available and reliable. If all manufacturers could agree to operate ZSI on say dry contact relaying with no more than 125 VDC and some kind of maximum current (relay) spec with resettable electronic fuses to protect the upstream relay we could implement ZSI universally so that we aren’t brand/model locked and can maintain ZSI moving forward. That doesn’t exist so we can’t do it.

As to your other terms. Ok maintenance switches are becoming common. But it’s a retrofit solution. Most of the time you can design out arc flash down to under 8 cal/cm2 in a new system without one and there are the issues of training and understanding what it is for. And it’s not new. Induction disk relays have independent 50 and 51 functions and most microprocessor relays have at least 2-3 setting groups that you can toggle for various specialized situations. It’s just the latest fad. Don’t get me wrong I agree with the purpose when it makes sense to use it but it’s like having a synchroscope meter on a generator for manual closed transitions...great in the hands of an expert, dangerous in any other case.

Grounding in multiple source systems is a critical design element. It can be very simple or it can be very complicated if done poorly. It is also often blamed for a variety of other unrelated issues. I think only GE actually uses the acronym MSGF, had to look that one up. Anyone familiar with multiple paralleling generators knows this one very well. The problem is not limited to MTM and in fact it’s arguably worse with paralleling gensets with designs that don’t consider grounding ahead of time. I do not personally believe that relaying is the answer. Fixing the design and installation is the answer every time. But even on a radial feed system grounding is frequently an afterthought. Personally I’m a huge proponent of high resistance grounding from 480 all the way to 10 kV and low resistance (400 A) at least to 35 kV. It’s cheap, it’s lower maintenance cost, it’s selective, and let’s face it solidly grounded systems are just sweeping the problems under the rug and ungrounded systems are taking a step backward. Multi source systems just force this issue out into the open...or cause utter chaos.

topgone

Interesting. Wouldn’t it be appropriate to account for the extra fault current regardless of open- or closed-transition “at” the ATS location considering the gap between the main contacts of both sources? Pretty sure a fault there wouldn’t be isolated to just one source.

Also, I would think the downstream equipment is not affected by the extra fault current since closed-transition switching duration is approximately 100ms or less and the probability of a downstream fault occurring at the exact same time is practically zero.

It is just what it is! Open transition is opening live breakers feeding the load first and then closing the needed breakers to power the power the target load (break before make)!

paulengr

Depends on why the switch occurs. Are we switching from losses or a fault? More than one fault?

ATS open transition usually uses either a double throw switch or two mechanically and electrically interlocked contractors with significant space. It’s possible for a double line side arc propagation in an arc flash condition but pretty unlikely...haven’t heard of one. Usually the over current protection is going to be very fast (fuse/instantaneous).

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Sorry for the long post. Good discussion...

From a maintenance point of view even double ended gear preferably MTTM especially with arc flash considerations has considerable advantages because you can actually isolate any particular section even to do bus maintenance.
"Considerable advantages" is what I am debating here. Again, with the shutters closed, there is virtually no arc-flash hazard and using RELT or having bus-differential significantly reduces the hazard. Of course this is predicated on the assumption there is no reason to service the 4" of line- and load-side bus stubs in the tie section. Also, as mentioned, if the customer is already willing to drop half the bus load, a MTM arrangement works just fine. Don't get me wrong, if the customer was still insistent on getting the MTTM, I would obviously just sell it to them.

The extra tie addresses maintenance on the tie cell itself.... I rarely see it so the tie suffers and becomes very unreliable over time.
Realistically, you can still service the tie in MTM applications. Simply rack it out and service it. There is no reason why it would become unreliable over time unless it was intentionally neglected. As discussed, the only thing you cant service with a MTM arrangement is the tie line- and load-side bus stubs, which is not a typical thing to service anyway. I refer you to manufacturer's publish data, NFPA 70B and the ANSI/NETA MTS standard. Servicing the 4" of bus stubs is not something one typically does or generally cares about (however, I know some people really like wasting their time lubing bus stubs).

At the distribution level unless you are running 69 kV (SF6 territory) modern breaker speeds are 3 cycles with a potential for 1 cycle relaying plus at least a half cycle to recognize a fault assuming the designer doesn’t get stupid with lockout relays and isolation relays going to the trip coil so 4.5 cycles is a reasonable minimum opening time.
No legitimate design relies on a lockout relay alone to trip the breaker. The correct way to trip using a lockout relay scheme is with a direct trip in addition to a parallel lock-out relay re-trip (which will also blocks the closing circuit).

Due to uncertainties between relays with induction disk they used to recommend 0.35 s minimum between switching layers so between the final load device and the first layer even with the fastest devices you were already up against the 30 cycle withstand rating. With modern devices 0.1 second delays between trip curves is not unreasonable.
Just a side note for those who don't know: According to the IEEE Buff book, the minimum recommended Coordination Time Intervals (CTI's) actually depend on the protective devices you are trying to coordinate and whether or not they are calibrated. This can range from simply maintaining clear space or having 0.3s of separation between TCC's at the prospective fault current.

Partial bus differential tripping isn’t NEC required and you are assuming the tie is a breaker complete with its own over current protection. In many systems the tie is completely manual. It may be just a disconnect switch. I’ve even seen “wired” (bolt together) ties with no gear at all. Utilities often speak of emergency ties here in hurricane prone areas. You still have bus protection in both buses but the protection zone is now larger, both buses are combined. If you do have protection at the tie then you can use the tie to trip on a bus fault on the second bus either by slowing down the mains (usually not a good idea), ZSI (not so bad here within the same switchgear), or partial bus differential relaying. It’s an option, not required. There are other options.
Refer to NEC section 240.87(B). You will see ZSI, bus differential, and Energy-Reducing Maintenance Switching (RELT - GE term) listed as the acceptable methods to reduce clearing time. Also, yes, I realize some tie breakers are just really expensive switches, but this is not the best design choice if you cannot afford dropping the entire bus load while in the single-ended/emergency configuration. Obviously, sectionalizing the buses can minimize downtime and aid with troubleshooting - which may be a small price to pay in the long run. Another benefit is using RELT on the tie instead of the main while in the single-ended/emergency configuration when switching or doing anything on the far end of the gear.

As to ZSI I do switchgear maintenance as a contractor. Power plants, high availability and security facilities, large industrials with cogens, you name it. I have seen abandoned ZSI but no working ZSI. It’s like a pilot wire system...great as long as the manufacturer doesn’t obsolete it and parts are available and reliable. If all manufacturers could agree to operate ZSI on say dry contact relaying with no more than 125 VDC and some kind of maximum current (relay) spec with resettable electronic fuses to protect the upstream relay we could implement ZSI universally so that we aren’t brand/model locked and can maintain ZSI moving forward. That doesn’t exist so we can’t do it.
I disagree. You can implement a fail-safe local or remote ZSI scheme with microprocessor based protective relays. Programming the discrete I/O using dry contact and 125VDC wetting voltage is completely possible. Writing ZSI logic is not difficult given all the flexibility, reliability and support available with modern protective relays.

As far as ZSI being abandoned everywhere you go, consider that most people do not understand ZSI, and while customer equipment may support this function, it generally does not get commissioned properly or even installed to begin with. So, this is an entirely different issue alltogether.

As to your other terms. Ok maintenance switches are becoming common. But it’s a retrofit solution. Most of the time you can design out arc flash down to under 8 cal/cm2 in a new system without one and there are the issues of training and understanding what it is for. And it’s not new. Induction disk relays have independent 50 and 51 functions and most microprocessor relays have at least 2-3 setting groups that you can toggle for various specialized situations. It’s just the latest fad. Don’t get me wrong I agree with the purpose when it makes sense to use it but it’s like having a synchroscope meter on a generator for manual closed transitions...great in the hands of an expert, dangerous in any other case.

The lack of a qualified work-force who is not capable of understanding or being trained on how the gear functions is a bigger problem and not a very good reason to dumb down the system protection or avoid getting with the times.

Grounding in multiple source systems is a critical design element. It can be very simple or it can be very complicated if done poorly. It is also often blamed for a variety of other unrelated issues. I think only GE actually uses the acronym MSGF, had to look that one up.

You are correct about MSGF being a GE term, but the MSGF protection concept is not one specific to GE equipment.

Anyone familiar with multiple paralleling generators knows this one very well. The problem is not limited to MTM and in fact it’s arguably worse with paralleling gensets with designs that don’t consider grounding ahead of time. I do not personally believe that relaying is the answer. Fixing the design and installation is the answer every time. But even on a radial feed system grounding is frequently an afterthought. Personally I’m a huge proponent of high resistance grounding from 480 all the way to 10 kV and low resistance (400 A) at least to 35 kV. It’s cheap, it’s lower maintenance cost, it’s selective, and let’s face it solidly grounded systems are just sweeping the problems under the rug and ungrounded systems are taking a step backward. Multi source systems just force this issue out into the open...or cause utter chaos.
Overall, I agree with what you are saying here. As far as I am aware, relaying is the only solution for multiple parallel sources supplying a 4w system with unbalanced loads (I should have clarified that).

Last edited:

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
It is just what it is! Open transition is opening live breakers feeding the load first and then closing the needed breakers to power the power the target load (break before make)!

I understand what closed-transition is. My point is that when two sources are in the same enclosure and separated by a small gap (irrespective of whether or not these sources are intended to make momentary contact), it would make sense to consider the fault current from both sources being inadvertently connected together via a flash-over condition or mechanical failure due to proximity. The ATS gear would thus need to be rated for ~2X the fault current regardless. The second point is that any equipment downstream would (by low probability of simultaneous fault occurrence) be unaffected and would not see the ~2X fault current. Note: This comment was in reference to customers not wanting to pay for higher rated equipment associated with closed-transition gear... when in reality, they should be even with open-transition gear.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Depends on why the switch occurs. Are we switching from losses or a fault? More than one fault?

ATS open transition usually uses either a double throw switch or two mechanically and electrically interlocked contractors with significant space. It’s possible for a double line side arc propagation in an arc flash condition but pretty unlikely...haven’t heard of one. Usually the over current protection is going to be very fast (fuse/instantaneous).

Im sure there are some designs with sufficient separation, but most of the gaps I've seen are very close. I usually do model an additional arc-flash scenario (for the ATS or Main/Tie breakers alone - no upstream or downstream gear), with both sources connected together (regardless of open- or closed-transition gear if its in the same enclosure/section/cubicle). The arcing current is usually picked up via the upstream instantaneous element(s) with one source in operation, so shorting both sources provides a conservative incident energy result (same clearing-time but ~2X the fault current).

paulengr

Sorry for the long post. Good discussion...

"Considerable advantages" is what I am debating here. Again, with the shutters closed, there is virtually no arc-flash hazard and using RELT or having bus-differential significantly reduces the hazard. Of course this is predicated on the assumption there is no reason to service the 4" of line- and load-side bus stubs in the tie section. Also, as mentioned, if the customer is already willing to drop half the bus load, a MTM arrangement works just fine. Don't get me wrong, if the customer was still insistent on getting the MTTM, I would obviously just sell it to them.

Not specific to MTTM but points out the issues with draw out in general.

Realistically, you can still service the tie in MTM applications. Simply rack it out and service it. There is no reason why it would become unreliable over time unless it was intentionally neglected.

The major arc flash hazard with draw out equipment IS the stabs and shutters. More specifically misalignment that seems to occur with almost every design out there. Either the shutter mechanism breaks and they cause misalignment or the whole assembly gets off and we get into jamming and other problems where it isn’t seated properly. Then with the addition of current is when the damage is done. That means going in an at least attempting to repair the shutter mechanism and cleaning up erosion and melted damage to the stabs. And often it just gets left that way.

I refer you to manufacturer's publish data, NFPA 70B and the ANSI/NETA MTS standard.

Those are maintenance standards not repair. “Testing” in that area would be limited to manually operating the shutter mechanism and doing visual inspection. The issue is misalignment or shutter mechanical mechanism. If it’s misalignment the issue is not going to be the stabs but elsewhere in the cell framing, foundation, or in the breaker structure.

As examples since you mention GE is when they switched to making stuff in India over there the assemblers can’t identify two different length screws used in building shutters. So they force the longer screw through the moving mechanism so it sticks out so far it catches on the fixed part causing the shutter to not open. Or the engineers think that a 1-2” wide strip of glastic loosely connected with pop rivets is a solid structural piece, enough to glide up smoothly on both sides using a single cam follower, which of course it doesn’t. There is also cracking/crazing partial discharge damage in those magic Powerbreak tubular bus sections they are so proud of in the 35 kV class. And that’s without even getting into the myriads of alignment issues. That’s just one part of the issues I’ve had to deal with. Neither one is addressed in the manufacturer instructions, not even apparently plant assembly procedures, and not mentioned in ongoing maintenance procedures. So if you are looking for answers in NETA MTS, forget it. They probably don’t even mention it but the maintenance procedure if there is one would be to manually raise the shutter while doing a visual inspection. That’s it. But it never addresses what to do if something is wrong.

No legitimate design relies on a lockout relay alone to trip the breaker. The correct way to trip using a lockout relay scheme is with a direct trip in addition to a parallel lock-out relay re-trip (which will also blocks the closing circuit).

So GE as popular as it was, is not a legitimate switchgear manufacturer? I can’t tell you how many manufacturers especially GE used to tie everything to an Electroswitch relay that in turn operates the breaker.

Refer to NEC section 240.87(B). You will see ZSI, bus differential, and Energy-Reducing Maintenance Switching (RELT - GE term) listed as the acceptable methods to reduce clearing time.

That’s a very recent addition. NEC does not address minimum arc flash requirements either in terms of probability of occurrence or say an incident energy maximum and the silly part is that you comply if you do ONE thing on their list. So most manufacturers are throwing in an extra $150 in parts and installation for a switch to comply. What if I’m already at or below 1.2 cal/cm2?

As far as ZSI being abandoned everywhere you go, consider that most people do not understand ZSI, and while customer equipment may support this function, it generally does not get commissioned properly or even installed to begin with. So, this is an entirely different issue alltogether.

I never said abandoned everywhere. That only applies where it was attempted. It’s not a matter of how it works but how to implement, mostly in UL 1077 equipment.

There are two engineering problems with ZSI. The first one is how to distribute the signal from every low level breaker to the higher level ones as quickly as possible. Never mind limitations due to equipment location (routing control signals with long feeders), a two layer system is simple and obvious. You can parallel a lot of normally open contacts or series a bunch of normally closed contacts with provisions for relay removal. With three layers do we add buffering/delay at the intermediate relay or multiple inputs for the 3rd level? And how to handle multiple receivers? This is where ZSI is not just a matter of some programming. It’s still solvable.

Second and far more serious is that unless we forgo coordination instantaneous tripping can only work at the lowest level (load protection) and as far up as we can extend series rating schemes. After that time current curves are the only way to properly coordinate at least for over current tripping. That is without ZSI. Like series ratings ZSI extends instantaneous protection much higher, almost arbitrarily high. But for it to work the breaker suppress signal must come from every lower layer. This is the fatal problem with ZSI. Every lower level device that implements instantaneous tripping that isn’t series rated must implement ZSI, even MCCBs, using whatever signaling format the higher level breakers can interpret, unless it trips faster than the ZSI delay. So a 15 A MCCB is fine in a panel board but the 800 A main is not.

The lack of a qualified work-force who is not capable of understanding or being trained on how the gear functions is a bigger problem and not a very good reason to dumb down the system protection or avoid getting with the times.

That ivory tower elitist comment doesn’t even deserve a response. I don’t care if you can do it in an SEL 751A. Try it in a Cutler Hammer form C or G thermal magnetic breaker. Try really any MCP model on the market. This is where those in ivory towers are so stupid they can’t understand why the deplorable electricians don’t implement their utopian breaker dreams. If you’ve ever actually tried to do it you’d know why it doesn’t work except on paper.

Overall, I agree with what you are saying here. As far as I am aware, relaying is the only solution for multiple parallel sources supplying a 4w system with unbalanced loads (I should have clarified that).

Here is probably the classic GE approach you are referring to:

Here is an updated version:

4w solidly grounded systems are really great from a transient control point of view and cheap for low voltage systems (under 250 V) but since faults and neutral currents are mixed they are a fundamentally flawed design best limited to low voltage radials. And at the distribution level faults cause major damage far beyond the actual failure. If continuity of service really matters enough to use switchgear in the first place 3w locally grounded or better yet resistance grounded systems are cheaper, have higher reliability, and don’t require relay gymnastics since the neutral issue is solved (no neutrals allowed). So with this fundamental system design approach the complicated relay schemes are simplified. If for no other reason than the fact that with high resistance grounding we have an indefinite clearing time and even with low resistance a 10 second maximum clearing time is often easily possible. Ground fault relaying uses time delay schemes for coordination and ground fault relays are even available in motor starters and some small breakers. You can even make one with a simple overcurrent relay and a zero sequence CT.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
http://www.eatonu.org/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@holec/documents/content/pct_281908.pdf
Not specific to MTTM but points out the issues with draw out in general.
Interesting paper. Thanks.

The major arc flash hazard with draw out equipment IS the stabs and shutters. More specifically misalignment that seems to occur with almost every design out there. Either the shutter mechanism breaks and they cause misalignment or the whole assembly gets off and we get into jamming and other problems where it isn’t seated properly. Then with the addition of current is when the damage is done. That means going in an at least attempting to repair the shutter mechanism and cleaning up erosion and melted damage to the stabs. And often it just gets left that way.
Alright. I cant argue with that other than it not being a frequent issue.

Those are maintenance standards not repair. “Testing” in that area would be limited to manually operating the shutter mechanism and doing visual inspection. The issue is misalignment or shutter mechanical mechanism. If it’s misalignment the issue is not going to be the stabs but elsewhere in the cell framing, foundation, or in the breaker structure.
Maintenance/testing is a larger and more frequent part of servicing equipment that repair. If its being repaired I am calling the manufacturer for no other reason than they can be held liable for their repair work. Bottom line is if you have misalignment issues due to cell framing, foundation, or in the breaker structure, then the installation was not done properly.

As examples since you mention GE is when they switched to making stuff in India over there the assemblers can’t identify two different length screws used in building shutters. So they force the longer screw through the moving mechanism so it sticks out so far it catches on the fixed part causing the shutter to not open. Or the engineers think that a 1-2” wide strip of glastic loosely connected with pop rivets is a solid structural piece, enough to glide up smoothly on both sides using a single cam follower, which of course it doesn’t. There is also cracking/crazing partial discharge damage in those magic Powerbreak tubular bus sections they are so proud of in the 35 kV class. And that’s without even getting into the myriads of alignment issues. That’s just one part of the issues I’ve had to deal with. Neither one is addressed in the manufacturer instructions, not even apparently plant assembly procedures, and not mentioned in ongoing maintenance procedures. So if you are looking for answers in NETA MTS, forget it. They probably don’t even mention it but the maintenance procedure if there is one would be to manually raise the shutter while doing a visual inspection. That’s it. But it never addresses what to do if something is wrong.
I think you are partially proving my point. For one, it's not mentioned anywhere and not expected that anyone other than the factory fix it. However, you are 100% correct about those specific problems and quality control issues. Too often, equipment manufacturers are not held accountable. Reliable gear and proper commissioning are what is needed in these situations and not another (potentially faulty) tie breaker.

I say don't mess with it unless you want to own the problem and/or void the equipment warranty. I would put this back on the manufacturer and whoever is responsible for commissioning the project. Anyone else trying to "fix" it or tamper with it could be seen as being unqualified/unauthorized to service the gear.

So GE as popular as it was, is not a legitimate switchgear manufacturer? I can’t tell you how many manufacturers especially GE used to tie everything to an Electroswitch relay that in turn operates the breaker.
In my opinion, GE lost its reputation decades ago along with its product line, but if they or anyone else ONLY relies on a lockout relay to trip the breaker, then I am sure whoever at the factory doing this doesn't know or care about what they are doing. Manufacturers rely on customer designs and specifications, and the manufacturer will always default to whatever is most cost effective for them. I maintain it is not a legitimate design by virtue of (i) standard practice, (ii) reliability, and (iii) increased operating time (as you have mentioned). Less of a legitimate design if it is not signed/sealed by a PE (but that doesn't mean a PE can't make poor design choices either!). From my experience, if the customer relies on the factory, the customer will most likely get junk together with a bunch of useless services with the justification/mindset that "the customer approved it, so it's ultimately their responsibility".

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
That’s a very recent addition.
3 code cycles is a very recent addition? Note: I'm not considering the 2011 edition, but in all fairness that's when this whole thing it started. So basically a decade. Besides, whether or not it is a recent addition doesn't make the requirement or comment any less valid.

NEC does not address minimum arc flash requirements either in terms of probability of occurrence or say an incident energy maximum and the silly part is that you comply if you do ONE thing on their list. So most manufacturers are throwing in an extra $150 in parts and installation for a switch to comply.
No standard addresses the minimum incident energy exposure because that depends on the nature of the operation, and ultimately the discretion of the employer; however the NFPA 70E does provide guidelines and suggests the likelihood (probability) of occurrence for certain activities in Table 130.5(C).

Let's not miss the point here. The NEC is an installation standard, and the objective (from an installation perspective) is simply to have a means of reducing the clearing time. Thats is. So it's really not a silly requirement given there are plenty of options available to bring you in compliance and there are other standards/regulations that promote it and suggest how you should use it.

What if I’m already at or below 1.2 cal/cm2?
In that case, you are probably already using one of the methods listed in 240.87(B). If you are so opposed to it, you could invoke 240.87(B)(7) as achieving an equivalent result, but you would still be using the same rule.

I never said abandoned everywhere. That only applies where it was attempted. It’s not a matter of how it works but how to implement, mostly in UL 1077 equipment.
Not sure what UL 1077 has to do with ZSI and MTM applications...

There are two engineering problems with ZSI. The first one is how to distribute the signal from every low level breaker to the higher level ones as quickly as possible. Never mind limitations due to equipment location (routing control signals with long feeders), a two layer system is simple and obvious. You can parallel a lot of normally open contacts or series a bunch of normally closed contacts with provisions for relay removal. With three layers do we add buffering/delay at the intermediate relay or multiple inputs for the 3rd level? And how to handle multiple receivers? This is where ZSI is not just a matter of some programming. It’s still solvable.
Maybe I should have clarified. In no way am I suggesting implementing a ZSI scheme for all coordination levels of a power system. It's simply not necessary. ZSI can resolve situations where local fault discrimination is not possible with standard overcurrent protection methods. In context of this discussion I am only talking about double-ended substation applications.

Second and far more serious is that unless we forgo coordination instantaneous tripping can only work at the lowest level (load protection) and as far up as we can extend series rating schemes. After that time current curves are the only way to properly coordinate at least for over current tripping. That is without ZSI. Like series ratings ZSI extends instantaneous protection much higher, almost arbitrarily high. But for it to work the breaker suppress signal must come from every lower layer. This is the fatal problem with ZSI. Every lower level device that implements instantaneous tripping that isn’t series rated must implement ZSI, even MCCBs, using whatever signaling format the higher level breakers can interpret, unless it trips faster than the ZSI delay. So a 15 A MCCB is fine in a panel board but the 800 A main is not
You are assuming the fault magnitude is always in the instantaneous region and the OCPD's are not adjustable. Sometimes you can use the downstream impedance to your advantage to coordinate devices as the TCC becomes truncated for lower magnitude faults. Again, the context is double-ended substation applications.

That ivory tower elitist comment doesn’t even deserve a response. I don’t care if you can do it in an SEL 751A. Try it in a Cutler Hammer form C or G thermal magnetic breaker. Try really any MCP model on the market. This is where those in ivory towers are so stupid they can’t understand why the deplorable electricians don’t implement their utopian breaker dreams. If you’ve ever actually tried to do it you’d know why it doesn’t work except on paper.
If it didn't deserve a response, then why bother responding? It's not an elitist comment. Having an untrained work-force is a serious problem, and it deserves being addressed rather than designing around it. I don't think electricians are deplorable. I happen to double as one. Also, there is no need to exaggerate because no-one is trying to implement a utopian breaker dream. Most of what is being discussed here is pretty standard these days.

Here is probably the classic GE approach you are referring to:
Actually, I wasn't referring to any white papers. While that GE technical paper does discuss some of the issues associated with multiple parallel sources, from what I understand, it is more about the single processor concept for protection as is done with Entelisys gear. By the way, I work with one of the authors of that paper.

As previously mentioned, MSGF may be a GE acronym, but the MSGF protection concept is not one specific to GE equipment. It's basically a directional ground overcurrent element which has been around forever.

Last edited:

ron

I don't know when a fault will occur, so I count both sources if they might be connected together in a switching arrangement that allows for it.
However if the switching arrangement has interlocks that do not, such as a open transition UL1008 ATS that has mechanical interlocks that prevent the two sources from being connected together, and UL tests the heck out of it, I do not force my client to overpay for equipment downstream if it is not needed.
Keep in mind there are still plenty of Engineers that think "since closed-transition switching duration is approximately 100ms or less and the probability of a downstream fault occurring at the exact same time is practically zero", so they don't even consider fault current from all sources even though the code requires it in 705.16 (NEC 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.