Shop/garage light installation

Max Headroom

Occupation
General Building Contractor/Electrical Contractor
The factory whips with conductors smaller than 14 AWG use fixture wire. If your whip has THHN, the normal overcurrent protection rules apply.
Excellent thanks for the reply, so is it ok to make my own whip with 3/8 FMC 6’ or less using fixture wire listed in Table 402.3 and table 348.22, this could increase flexibility and lighten the whip

Max Headroom

Occupation
Great thanks, I found some fixtures on the HD website that were for two T-12 Fluorescent lamps 48” (lamps not included) , I think by Cooper , Then I thought because I was unable to find what i really wanted, something like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/EnviroLite-4-ft-T8-LED-White-Shop-Light-SL602T1850-K/300380394 then I thought maybe buy these Cooper’s, bypass the ballast, but is that usually ok with an inspector as this would no longer be a listed product. This is a link to the T-12 fixture at HD https://www.homedepot.com/p/Metalux...4-ft-Fluorescent-Strip-Light-SSF240/305016129

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I think you're overthinking this a bit. I put these in my basement:

I wired a babtch of duplex receptacles that had either one or two lights plugged in. I GFCI protected the circuit since it's an unfinished basement, and those receptacles are 3-way switched at the top of the stairs and at the stairs out of the basement into the back yard. Even my picky "make up my own rules" inspector liked the install.

SceneryDriver

Max Headroom

Occupation

I wired a babtch of duplex receptacles that had either one or two lights plugged in. I GFCI protected the circuit since it's an unfinished basement, and those receptacles are 3-way switched at the top of the stairs and at the stairs out of the basement into the back yard. Even my picky "make up my own rules" inspector

I wired a babtch of duplex receptacles that had either one or two lights plugged in. I GFCI protected the circuit since it's an unfinished basement, and those receptacles are 3-way switched at the top of the stairs and at the stairs out of the basement into the back yard. Even my picky "make up my own rules" inspector liked the install.

SceneryDriver
Ok , my original plan was to do something like you described but after looking at 410.62(C)(1) it says “ shall be permitted to be cord connected provided the luminaire is located directly below the outlet. Worst case scenario I guess I would have to have an outlet directly above each luminaire. Thank you all very much for your input and taking the time to help.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Ok , my original plan was to do something like you described but after looking at 410.62(C)(1) it says “ shall be permitted to be cord connected provided the luminaire is located directly below the outlet. Worst case scenario I guess I would have to have an outlet directly above each luminaire. Thank you all very much for your input and taking the time to help.
That's exactly what I did. I wired the basement in EMT, so that certainly helped.

SceneryDriver

Max Headroom

Occupation
I have decided to forget about hardwiring the fixtures, instead I think a receptacle directly over each luminaire and plug in whatever the owner wants to buy because most all of the led luminaire’s I’ve seen are cord and plugged and integrated, EMT or MC cable or both

garbo

I have installed both 4' & 8' fluorescent luminare in machine & tool & die shops where I installed a quality 16/3 cord such as type SO that were below a duplex receptacle. Shops liked this arranged because they could unplug a luminare to move equipment in & out. Always passed inspection. I have seen 4' LED luminare with 5 or 6' cords that you can daisy chain. I question that it would not be allowed to run 5' of cord across say open joists where permanent wiring is the only permitted method.

Max Headroom

Occupation
I have installed both 4' & 8' fluorescent luminare in machine & tool & die shops where I installed a quality 16/3 cord such as type SO that were below a duplex receptacle. Shops liked this arranged because they could unplug a luminare to move equipment in & out. Always passed inspection. I have seen 4' LED luminare with 5 or 6' cords that you can daisy chain. I question that it would not be allowed to run 5' of cord across say open joists where permanent wiring is the only permitted method.
I managed to find an LED ready fixture that is double ended without ballast, less than $27. My plan is to surface mount to sheetrock and then hardwire wit 14/2 MC cable.

Attachments

• asset-13116448_LED TUBE READY STRIP.pdf
    441.4 KB · Views: 3

Max Headroom

Occupation
Trust me do it in 12 2 and have extra left over for more outlets in the garage.
OK well that suits me just fine as I happen some 12 2 so I might as well. Besides having leftover for receptacle outlets and 12 2 working for both 15 and 20A circuits, is there any other reason to not use 14 2? Thanks for your advise!

Max Headroom

Occupation
Only reason not to is if you have extensive 3 and 4 way switching which you shouldn't
Oh, ok so if I'm understanding you correctly then you're saying with extensive 3 and 4 way switching I would be better off with the 14 awg, ? Presumably for economical/box fill/ease of use, etc., otherwise stick with the 12awg??