SEU

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemsvcs

Twisting the grounded wires (braided wiring) in SEU (200A) is the worst. Maybe it's just me being paranoid, but any advice out there on getting the twist good and tight before connection to panels, meter bases, etc.

Thanks,
Jemsvcs

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: SEU

It can be a bit tricky if you are not patient with it. Tough to explain but what I do is, after strippng the jacket, I carefully part the braid with my thumbs for the length of the strip then bend the insulated conductors up and out of it. It's important to maintain the original twist of the braid. I then "groom" the braid into a bundle so that all the conductors are neat and parallel. I twist it as tight as I can by hand then I use my channel-locks to get it really tight. If necessary after that I trim the end to get rid of the uneven lengths.

-Hal

hurk27

Try using a 1/2" drill?
Do as Hal said then cut the ends, chuck them in a cordless drill with the cluch set about half way, and just use a little pulling pressure while running the dirll slow. It makes a nice twist job easy.

luke warmwater

I basically use the same as Hal, but I cut the wire long and to twist, I bend it over and make it like an old-fasioned engine crank and twist it tight.

electricmanscott

Is it necessary to have it twisted tight? It is not twisted tight for the length of the cable. I have seen plenty of instances where the strands were cut even and put under the lug not twisted at all. I happen to use the method that luke described.

jes25

Its not the twisting I have a problem with its getting it under the neutral lug I hate. I have tried all of the above mentioned methods only to have a hell of a time getting it under the lug at the main panel. I hate it so much I put in a 150A unless they really need the 200A

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Why, does the lug seem too small? That's why you have to twist it tight. If the hots fit the full size neutral should too.

-Hal

[ November 16, 2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer

I cut mine long and then use pump pliers (channel-locks) to twist. I then put a wrap of tape about 1-1/2 inches back from the cut point and use a ratcheting cable cutter. They don't usually unravel, but the tape is good insurance.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Midget, go Here
and scroll down to page 151. I own a 764 on page 153.

I would realy like to have a battery powered cutter, but we're talking healthy price tag.

Roger

[ November 30, 2004, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

paul32

Why use SEU instead of SER if this is so much trouble? When I first learned of the cable types I wondered why anyone would use SEU.

jes25

SER? what would you do with the extra wire. A bare wire not connected to any thing in the panel seems like a bad idea IMO.

About the neutral under the lug. The lug is too small, its for a max of 4/0 and I dont care how tight you twist 'em you cant get it like the factory. Cant believe I am the only guy who has trouble with this.

jes25

Another thought is I think seu is better ,cause if it gets hit hard it will short out and hopefully clear, because of the way the neutral is all around the ungrounded conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.