Service Upgrade in Essex New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtn_elec

How are my colleagues charging for an Upgrade to 150 Amps 3 meters ( 2 fam house + owner) new 3 panels 100 Amps 16 spaces.Meters outside wall and new panels in basement,ground rod, jumpers,etc ? This is in Newark City or around.

celtic

Re: Service Upgrade in Essex New Jersey

I would bring 200A into the house.

I would charge about $2500...maybe $3000, depending on conditions which include distance to water meter from panels, location of rods and distance to panel, working conditions in basement (any crawling creatures?), neighborhood (some areas in Newark ARE hell), etc.

The above number is for QO panels and RGS and all CU conductors - I don't know that the city will allow PVC or SE cable. If you need to use lesser products to make the sale, so be it.

mtn_elec

Well this is not Beverly Hills but it is still a quite place near Bloomfield; the rods and water meter are less than 10 feet away from service panels in basement and there is no booguie man to be afraid of, it is a finished basement with easy more than 7' high. Is there any towns that don't let you use pvc or se?

celtic

The boogie man...LOL

The PVC/SE issue would go back to NEC and PSEG - "...not subject to physical damage..." sort of logic. Many towns will not allow SE on a service in say a driveway.

If generally easy, $2500 w/ QO...you pick the entrance type (PVC, RGS, SE)...figured at about $2k for a "normal" service(SFH) with the other $500 for the "not so normal" (extra panels, CB's,etc; metering work; etc)

I get about about 2k for a service in Hudson County. The services in Hudson are a bit tough because of all the ancient existing wiring, tight parking conditions and general PITA of it all. I imagine Newark is similar on the old wiring and general PITA part.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Is there any towns that don't let you use pvc or se?
I thought that local requirements were not permitted in NJ? The state has a unified electrical code currently based on the 2002 NEC.

celtic

Originally posted by infinity:
Is there any towns that don't let you use pvc or se?
I thought that local requirements were not permitted in NJ? The state has a unified electrical code currently based on the 2002 NEC.
Well that's news to me....but then again, I only rehung my shingle this year (shevled since '99).

Thank you for the tip infinity.

[ May 12, 2005, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: celtic ]

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric

Hi Mtn,
Will you install 3 seperate meter pans tied into a trough or will you install a 3 gang meter pan? You know PSEG will give you meter pans for free.

celtic

Originally posted by jjhoward:
You know PSEG will give you meter pans for free.
...but ONLY with a permit and accompaning paperwork filled out properly and sealed.

The PSEG location for meter pans is on County Rd.(?) in Seacacus. call 1-800-722-0256 for more details...and an ESI (if needed)

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric

Hi Celtic,
Yes that is correct, the original permit must be provided (they take a copy).
I think the road is Circle Rd.

mtn_elec

You know what, tell you the truth I don't remeber exactly if they take a copy of the orig permit, I believe they only take the permit number but what I know for sure is that they stamp it as a proof of releasing the meters. And Joe, I usually feed my meter pans from a trough couse I never found 3 gang meters in PS&G office only the 2 gang. I usually go to the one en Circle Rd. And that is Clifton not Secaucus ;)

celtic

Originally posted by mtn_elec:
....I never found 3 gang meters in PS&G office only the 2 gang.....
You just saved me twenty minutes of phone time
:) ...I was calling PS on Monday to ask about triple meter pans, now I don't have to - I owe you a cup of coffee (or a beer?).
Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.