Service size

Leonan

Occupation
Electrician
Hi everyone, I did a 400A service in MA and the inspector asked to use 800kcmil aluminum wire, but in code 310.12 I can use 600cmil. Am I right?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If not for a dwelling you can use 750 kcmil AL if the calculated load is 385 or less.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does anyone sell or use 800kcmil (it's in the size charts)? I don't think I've ever seen larger than 750, get larger than that and it smaller sizes doubled.
Almost 40 years never installed anything larger than 750 kcmil.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
Parallel runs of 4/0 aluminum work * As long as the load is less than 360A *. 250kcmil Al in parallel if the guy is just looking for you to have more than 400A of conductor (which is not required).

Or

Parallel 3/0 Cu.

Saying 800kcmil is wild because that is technically still less than 400A. So I don't exactly understand his point. Unless you have a load or line side tapped power system that requires it to be larger than 360A but less than 400A.

You are allowed to use the round up rule in 240 as long as the conductor ampacity is larger than the load.

Leonan

Occupation
Electrician
Parallel runs of 4/0 aluminum work * As long as the load is less than 360A *. 250kcmil Al in parallel if the guy is just looking for you to have more than 400A of conductor (which is not required).

Or

Parallel 3/0 Cu.

Saying 800kcmil is wild because that is technically still less than 400A. So I don't exactly understand his point. Unless you have a load or line side tapped power system that requires it to be larger than 360A but less than 400A.

You are allowed to use the round up rule in 240 as long as the conductor ampacity is larger than the load.