service pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzzer

I am instlling some service poles for a highway job.My question is,what type of grounding wire can be used.The state wants a #6 solid wire, but what is the problem with using #6 stranded wire.The service pole are Typ D (120/240)100 (ns) ss (n) sp (0). :)

bphgravity

Re: service pole

This sounds like an NESC issue? It is poosible that code has a restriction on use of stranded conductors for grounding purposes?

Also, the grounding conductor is generally bare which I don't believe you will find in stranded, plus there could be some issues with protection from physical damgage and being suitable for use. Stranded is fantasitic for pulls through raceways and other applications, but for exposed runs or installations along surfaces, you can't get stranded to co-operate like solid.

charlie

Re: service pole

We run solid #6 down the pole and fasten it to the pole with fence staples. On the bottom portion of the pole, we use a plastic (polyethylene?) molding over the wire. As far as I know, we have never used stranded wire for that application. I believe the NESC is silent on that subject but the #6 would weather better in my opinion. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.