service location

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimpyfac

We are thinking about going to a local code change requiring the service being placed closest to the utility pedical.Requireing the utility company to follow the lot line to go to the service location, do any of you have such a requirement for single and multifamily dwellings,if so can you explain.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Re: service location

Most poco`s in this area and there are 3 different,2 set the point of entry and the 3rd will pipe around for $400.00.But as far as in the NEC I`ve not seen that.

bphgravity

I would think that most electrical contractors are already installing the service on the utility side of a building. Are you having some sort of issue in your community that this will provide a solution? I am unable to come up with a hazard or concern with allowing services on the opposite side of the building. :)

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Before a community is built there has to be a poco lay out , why would there be a code that states where the poco connects ?Unless they are in the same pocket. ;)

amptech

In my area we have 2 electrical utilities. The REMC doesn't care where you spot the meter if it is UG and you are willing to pay for the extra trenching, within reason. The other utility came out with a rule 5 years ago stating that all meters had to be located on the front or either end of the house but not the back. By the front I mean the elevation of the house facing the road. This is enforced even when the pad mount or pole mount is on the rear of the property. They don't want the meter reader to have to go behind the house. They also argue that future additions or fencing will be less likely to interfere with meter reading if the meter is towards the front of either end of the house or directly on the front. This rule has caused a lot of complaints from customers who don't want their meter smack dab on the front of the house where everybody has to look at it. But if you don't comply, you get no juice.

charlie

Requireing the utility company
I think you would have difficulty doing that. Read 90.2(B)(5) and then consider that the state will probably be the one to regulate the electric utility. :)

hurk27

Amptech
Here it's reversed REMC was requiring that they spot the meter and we had no choice in the matter and our other POCO (NIPSCO) didn't care as long as they didn't have to go under a driveway unless it was piped. but NIPSCO does have one requirement that perplexes me and that is if we do have to run pipe it must be 3" for a 200 amp service. Now try to get a meter can that will take a 3" pipe! and I have not found a PVC bell reducer yet that they like. so we wind up with a 3" female adapter with a reducing bushing at the meter. And they will even complain about that but I asked the engineer to show me where I could get what they want and he couldn't find one ether! Go figure :confused:

charlie

Our Goldbook, drawing GB5-020, requires 4" PVC to be installed underground. Where it is turned up, we provide a reducing adapter. We have the reducing adapters made for us by Carlon, they are a special item and not on the market. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.