SERVICE ENTRANCE-RESIDENTIAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

cve

We are wiring a new home in which the meter location is on the opposite side of the home as the mechanical room. In all other jobs like this we have set a 200A fused disconnect outside next to meter then run 4/0 SER 4 cond cable from disconnect to main lug panel at mechanical room. This inspector says that we are violating 230.7 and that this wiring inside the home must be in conduit because of the length from entrance into home ...I DISAGREE... the wiring in the home is not service entrance wiring it is a branch feeder which is fused for over current and thus does not need to be in conduit...please let me know of your thoughts....THANKS

iwire

Staff member
Re: SERVICE ENTRANCE-RESIDENTIAL

Once you hit the service disconnect, in this case the one outside at the meter you have a feeder just as you thought.

Service Conductors. The conductors from the service point to the service disconnecting means.
Feeder. All circuit conductors between the service equipment, the source of a separately derived system, or other power supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent device.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Cve, the inspector is making up his own rules unless he can show you where this is prohibited. (it's not prohibited in the NEC)

Along with Iwire's post you can point him to the definition of Main Power Feeder in 310.15(B)(6)

For application of this section, the main power feeder shall be the feeder/s between the main disconnect and the lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboard/s

Roger

bill addiss

I don't see how 230.7 Other Conductors in Raceway or Cable applies to this.

What you describe is a common installation.

Bill

iwire

Staff member

Bill I was thinking a typo and he might have meant 230.6 Conductors Considered Outside the Building. or 230.70 Disconnecting Means.

Edited for my typo :eek:

[ November 16, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

cve

Thanks for your help....I have been doing this for a long time and have used this metheod for services many times with out a problem. This inspector did not take it very well when I expressed the opinion that he was mis-interpreting the intention of the code. By the way I did typo, I was referring to 230.70 in the code.

bill addiss

cve,

Don't mean to be picky here, but 230.70 is about the Service Disconnect location. I don't see how that could apply either.

Bill

tonyi

You might gently suggest that the fact that there's 4 wires here are a subsantial clue that you've crossed the river from SE land into feeder land where the rules are considerably different.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by tonyi:
You might gently suggest that the fact that there's 4 wires here are a subsantial clue that you've crossed the river from SE land into feeder land where the rules are considerably different.
I was going to say something like that but if you where to apply 250.32(B)(2) you could conceivably run a 3 wire feeder from the disconnect to the house.

From a meter pedestal to the house is probably the only time I would consider doing this.

I would think very limited chances for parallel paths in this case.

As Bennie has pointed out you will end up with a larger conductor for clearing faults with this method.

[ November 17, 2003, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

pierre

The wiring run from a meter to the first point of disconnect is permitted by the NEC to be a cable assembly(310.15(B)(6). The wiring run from a disconnect at the 'immediate point of entrance to the building', to the first panel is also permitted by the NEC to be a cable assembly.
Unless the local jurisdiction has written procedures to say differently, the inspector is incorrect.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.