Service entrance conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

For new service entrance conductors inside a building coming out of a Con Ed service end box, do these need to be concrete encased when connecting to a switchboard if the electric room is 2 hour rated?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That is a call for your AHJ.
The provision for the service disconnect being nearest the point of entry to the building has an explicit exception for 2" concrete encasement but not for a 2 hour electrical room.
But how far the service conductors can run in a given situation is up to the AGC to specify.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What I remember in NYC was that many of the services were underground that directly entered the building into a JB... From there the service conductors were in conduit right near the JB. Infinity may have newer or more info on this @infinity

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For new service entrance conductors inside a building coming out of a Con Ed service end box, do these need to be concrete encased when connecting to a switchboard if the electric room is 2 hour rated?

What's the distance? Typically if they go directly into the service equipment then no concrete encasement is required. This is from my current project, the ConEd conductors enter into the end box where the extension cord is hanging out and continue with bus to the CT section. From the CT section there are multiple service disconnects. As you can see the distance is rather far. The second photo is the entry from the transformer vault.

Service Entrance 001.jpg ConEd SEC's 001.jpg

cppoly

Looking at section 230.6, it says conductors shall be considered outside of a building under the following conditions…. And then it lists all the conditions.

Need a little help understanding something. Is this the section where everyone refers to for the requirement of service conductors to be routed outside a building, or are there another sections that I should be looking at?

The way I’m reading 230.6, it just gives you a definition by defining what’s considered outside a building but this section alone doesn’t explicitly say conductors are required to be (shall be) routed this way. What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.