Service Entrance Conductor Conduit Installation Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

philly

Are there any requirements in the NEC which dictate how conduit for 480V SE conductors need to be installed (ductbank vs buried conduit)?

I assume that this would be dependent on how conduit was routed (under roadways, etc...) but just looking at the simple case where there is a utility padmount transformer directly outside of a building with SE conductors routed to SE equipment inside of building are there any requirements specific to conduit installation?

For the above I'm assuming that the utility metering point is at service transformer with customer then owning service entrance conductors. Does the answer change if the utility metering are in SE equipment (Switchboard, etc...) in which case I believe the utility would then own those conductors?

I'm looking at a few projects that would involve intercepting existing SE conductors and in the process of trying to anticipate what to expect (no good drawings) wondered if there was a conduit installation requirement that typically governed such installations?

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think there is requirement to use things like duct bank, though it may have some advantages in some instances - more of a design decision.

Utility ownership/control can make a difference on what you may be able to get away with, they might use smaller conductor than NEC might require.

philly

Utility ownership/control can make a difference on what you may be able to get away with, they might use smaller conductor than NEC might require.

If I'm understanding correctly if the utility metering point is in the service entrance equipment then these conductors are owned by the utility and don't have to adhere to any NEC sizing requirements, etc...?

Is it a safe assumption that if the metering equipment is in the main SE Switchboard then this cable is owned by utility?

kwired

Electron manager
If I'm understanding correctly if the utility metering point is in the service entrance equipment then these conductors are owned by the utility and don't have to adhere to any NEC sizing requirements, etc...?

Is it a safe assumption that if the metering equipment is in the main SE Switchboard then this cable is owned by utility?
"Service point" is a term NEC added not too many code cycles ago to help clarify what NEC applies to and what is under POCO control.

Metering point could be on either side of the service point.

In many self contained metering applications it is common that service point is line side of meter for underground applications and usually at the point of connection to service drop for overhead applications. Both situations allow POCO to run whatever size conductor they want up to the service point. Other side of service point must comply with NEC for size of conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.