Service Entrance Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

CONDUIT

Is there a requirement by the code or manufacturer, that the neutral wire wrapped around the other cables must be twisted together before terminating under the lug in the meter can?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've never heard of one but it is possible that the manufacturer may say something about it in the instructions which are part of the listing of the cable.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe code requires it but it would make sense that it would need to be wrap to work properly under a lug. I must say I have never installed the concentric neutral without twisting the wire.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
They're not twisted together inside the cable, why should they need to be twisted outside the cable?

That being said, I almost always twist them. Only twice did I not and that was due to the very short distance between the cable jacket and lug.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is an interesting thought. Untwisted it is equivalent to 8 or 10 strands of wire under a lug. How is that compliant?

retirede

Here is an interesting thought. Untwisted it is equivalent to 8 or 10 strands of wire under a lug. How is that compliant?

Doesn’t the lug’s listing normally specify the allowable stranding makeup?

I’ve not seen one that specifically requires twisting the strands.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Doesn’t the lug’s listing normally specify the allowable stranding makeup?

I’ve not seen one that specifically requires twisting the strands.

I am just saying that the lug, IMO, is probably not listed for 8 or 10 runs of #10 awg so how is this different if untwisted?

kwired

Electron manager
I am just saying that the lug, IMO, is probably not listed for 8 or 10 runs of #10 awg so how is this different if untwisted?
Anyone know how many strands are typical in SE cables?

Conventional conductors are 7, 19,37, 61 strands.

Ultra fine strands can be even more but require terminations designed for use with them.

From experience seen 8 or 6 AWG concentric strands of an SE cable in a ~ #2 lug that pretty much becomes flat when compressed

retirede

From a physical perspective, there is not a difference - I get your point.

But the instructions I’ve seen would only allow multiple strands from a single conductor, not the same strands from individual conductors. It may not make sense, but it is what it is.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Interesting...its the way we have always done it...one way to find out if its allowed is to submit a code proposal stating "SE Cable Neutral or EGC do not need to be twisted together to secure in a lug"

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I could see that being the concentric bare conductor, I have to wonder if that isn't a misprint on the insulated conductors. All other 4/0 insulated conductors in the chart are 19 strand and is basically the industry standard. 19 equal sized strands pack better into a circular cross section and next step down that works well is 7, next step up is 37.

CONDUIT

I called the lug manufacturer and talked to Tech support. The guy told me that the neutral had to be twisted. He told me that he worked in the field for 20 years and that he always twisted the neutral. I then asked him does the manufacturer or the listing on the lug require it to be twisted....he said no.
I called UL and left them a message and asked them if it was required that they be twisted. I came back from lunch and a guy from UL had left me a message telling me that no twisting was required. So I guess you can decide for yourself. I have been in the field for 35 plus years and have always twisted the neutrals. But this time it was just perfect to lay in the lug without twisting. Not sure if I will twist next time or not. Some inspectors will probably freak out. I have already talked to mine and he said that it wouldn't be a problem.

kwired

Electron manager
I called the lug manufacturer and talked to Tech support. The guy told me that the neutral had to be twisted. He told me that he worked in the field for 20 years and that he always twisted the neutral. I then asked him does the manufacturer or the listing on the lug require it to be twisted....he said no.
I called UL and left them a message and asked them if it was required that they be twisted. I came back from lunch and a guy from UL had left me a message telling me that no twisting was required. So I guess you can decide for yourself. I have been in the field for 35 plus years and have always twisted the neutrals. But this time it was just perfect to lay in the lug without twisting. Not sure if I will twist next time or not. Some inspectors will probably freak out. I have already talked to mine and he said that it wouldn't be a problem.
Makes sense to me, the lug is just going to push the strands where it wants to when tightened whether twisted or not. Plus you usually are landing the cut end so there is nothing to hold those strands in place at the cut end. Connection with some conductor on both sides of the connection would have some stand support from each side, an insulated conductor has insulation to help support the strands, but still rearranges the strands to some extent when tightening the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.