Service entrance cable that can be used underground AND strapped across basement ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinotone

I have a dilemma. Im running service entrance lines to multiple apartments from a meter center. To reach the 2 farthest apartments, the lines optimally run across a 4' crawl space in building 1, then underground (18-24" deep likely through pvc) for about 12', then across another crawl space in building 2. Originally I was planning on SER, but re-realized I cannot do that as it has un-insulated ground underground. I don't want to have to run conduit within both of the tight crawl spaces. Is there any type of service entrance cable that can be strapped inside and also underground outside? I also want to avoid splices. Thank you!

btw this is 4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0 aluminum for 200 amp sub-panels

sfork2020

Occupation
Electrician
If you have to go through the crawl space I would strap them to the ceiling, using a hot box to make offsets with gradual bends,use underground XLPE wire, for services, don’t know of any other cable to use

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Are these Service conductors (not feeders)? If so, can you run them inside a building for that distance? We are limited here to 10'. If they are feeders, how about UF cable (if they make it that large)?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
UF is not allowed for a service entrance conductor.
See if you have state/local rules for the distance limits on service entrance conductors, it can be 0, 2, 3, 10 etc feet.
Option to to install service disconnect for each or encase in 2" concrete.

Todd0x1

You state "to multiple apartments from a meter center" Are these service entrance conductors? Or feeders to the panel in the apartment? Does the meter center have a main breaker for each apartment? I dont know what the cost is on it, but is PVC jacketed MC cable an option? Its listed for direct bury.

dinotone

Sorry I used incorrect terminology folks. These are feeders to panel in each apt. They each have outdoor main breaker as part of meter center.

kwired

Electron manager
Are these Service conductors (not feeders)? If so, can you run them inside a building for that distance? We are limited here to 10'. If they are feeders, how about UF cable (if they make it that large)?
Even if they are feeders to separate buildings there is still most of the same rules regarding disconnecting means including location on outside or near point of entry.

I would think one could use SER if you just pulled an appropriate EGC for the underground part. SER cannot be used underground, but the inners are XHHW-2 so I would think it is just the bare AL egc that is the issue. Perhaps you could transition the egc in a j box and not even have to splice the other conductors. Then there is the debate about whether one needs to strip the SER jacket off....

kwired

Electron manager
I would think one could use SER if you just pulled an appropriate EGC for the underground part. SER cannot be used underground, but the inners are XHHW-2 so I would think it is just the bare AL egc that is the issue. Perhaps you could transition the egc in a j box and not even have to splice the other conductors. Then there is the debate about whether one needs to strip the SER jacket off....
Seems to me you might as well go with XHHW conductors in the first place vs doing that.

Again separate building you still need to hit the first disconnect near point of entry just like a service disconnect. So why not put a disconnect on outside where you emerge from underground then run SE cable if that is what you want to run inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.