Service Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend with our local utility company who contacted me today about an existing service. The main panel is next to the meter but there is no main disconnect. The meter feeds directly to the bus on the main panel. The question is, is there any rule that allows this or maybe a rule in the past that allowed this at one time. The service is about 20 years old.
Thanks and any code reference would be helpful.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The "six disconnect" rule did and does apply. Can you turn all the power off with 6 throws of the hand ? I can't recall the era of "split-buss" panels --20 years sounds about right-where one or two of the breakers would turn off portions of the buss.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The "six disconnect" rule did and does apply. Can you turn all the power off with 6 throws of the hand ? I can't recall the era of "split-buss" panels --20 years sounds about right-where one or two of the breakers would turn off portions of the buss.
Based on the info in the OP I think the six disconnect rule sounds right.

Twenty years ago ain't what it used to be. Now it means the '90's and creeping up on the '00. The years really do fly by. At least both of us are able to remember rotary dial phones.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
Based on the info in the OP I think the six disconnect rule sounds right.

Twenty years ago ain't what it used to be. Now it means the '90's and creeping up on the '00. The years really do fly by. At least both of us are able to remember rotary dial phones.

LoL....rotary dial phones with 10 houses on a "Party Line" and an operator to put the call through...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
LoL....rotary dial phones with 10 houses on a "Party Line" and an operator to put the call through...

As late as the 1970s there was a small town on the coast south of San Francisco with a pay phone booth with a non-dial pay phone.
You picked up the receiver, told the operator you were calling from "San Gregorio 3", since it was on a party line, and when she told you what coins to put in she listened to the chime sound each coin made.

Status
Not open for further replies.