Service disconnect for generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

If I was to install a generator transfer switch. Would there be no way to avoid a seperate service disconnect or could i still use the main on the panel

bphgravity

Re: Service disconnect for generator

A disconnect is generally required for a generator installation, but the location and method can vary greatly depending your set-up. Can you describe what you are wanting to do in more detail? Your question is a little too general. :confused:

jes25

What I want to do is put a 100a/200a 2 pole transfer swich right next to the panel. I am wondering if I have to put a 200a disconnect before the transfer switch or if I can just leave the main disconnect on the panel after the switch

jes25

I guess that was still vague...... This is a house where the SER comes right in to the top of the panel from the utility company. If I did not put the disconnect in there would be no OCPD for the utility wires until the main breaker on the panel. The transfer switch has a OFF position.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

If I understand you right, your transfer switch would have to be rated as suitable for service equipment, and it would have to be approved by the utility. You would not be able to disconnect power to the transfer switch without calling the utility. Given all the above, I'm still not sure it would comply with the NEC (no overcurrent protection for the transfer switch). Do yourself a favor and install a main breaker ahead of the switch. Or, add a breaker in the existing panel, feed the transfer switch from it, and add a second smaller panel after the transfer switch. Then move selected loads to the smaller panel.

Steve

bphgravity

I don't know. Article 230.82 limits what equipment is allowed on the supply side of the service disconnect. The exception allows tap conductors to standby power, but not feed through. :confused:

jes25

Thanks for the help guys I thought it needed a disconnect but I dont want to do extra work I dont have to, so I wont be high on my bid, after all work is pretty slow up here in detroit but then again so is everything else

iwire

Staff member

Article 230.82 limits what equipment is allowed on the supply side of the service disconnect.
A service rated transfer switch is the service disconnect. :)

At least the ones I have seen.

wolfman56

Siemens has a 125a main lug panel set up as a transfer panel. I just installed one. It has main lugs however on the first four spaces it has a 60a and a 100a tied together, both operate at the same time, one on one off. Put a 100 amp breaker in the existing panel to feed the "sub" panel at it's 100a. breaker. Put the generator to the 60a. breaker. Bring circuits into the sub panel. It is a great system. Panel cost $175
RAW

Status
Not open for further replies.