Server Room Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving to new building. Server Room will have Phone, Lan, Security, etc. I would like to add a dedicated ground for the lightning/surge devices. Live in S. Florida, static and lighting are common! The step-down Transformer and panel feeding the room is close. Curious where this new, probily redundant, ground should connect. Transformer? Panel? Building Steel or ?? Any thoughts would be helpfull. Thank You.

ron

Re: Server Room Grounding

Does the building have a metalic water pipe and/or ground rods?
The main electrical service should be grounded where these come together. That's the place for your dedicated ground to the server room.

iwire

Staff member

Ron I have always been told to bring IGs back to the bonding point for the system that the branch circuit originates from.

If the branch circuits are from panels fed from a transformer I bring them back to XO via the bonding jumper, if not fed from a building transformer I bring them back to the main bonding jumper at the service disconnect.

Bob

Thanks for the reply Ron! Guess I need to add some info and see what you think. The main panel is 200ft from the subpanel/transformer near the server room. No grounding rods exists in the room or close by. The only water pipes are 45ft away and are 3/4" copper cold lines feeding the bathrooms. The distance to the main panel room would make the AWG of the ground wire a hefty piece of copper! ideas?

jrdsg, Thanks for the tip! just read your post responding to "clean computer outlets". It's great telling stubborn customers, I told you so!
Adding a new curve to this senario: There will be UPS units, x4 5.3KVA 208V/120V, in the same area. The customer already owns them. They have ind. breakers on each 15 amp 120v outlet on the back panel. I need to tie this panel to independant runs to rooms in other parts of the building connected through emt. So the J-box in which the SO cord from the ups panel joins the ind. Room conduits will have the IG and the j-box ground. I would take the IG to the UPS panel and the conduit box grounds to the panel where the UPS feed ties? Is there a better way? Feeling this out with iwire's suggestion.

dereckbc

Staff member

AudioCableGuy, the place to start is your isolation/stepdown transformer. You first want to make sure the Xo is properly grounded to the nearest building electrode. The nearest electrode would be in the following order. Building steel, water pipe, or a cable ran to the service electrode. Once that is complete you have a base to start from.

From there you go as elaborate as you want. A popular method is to use a raised floor grid constructed of # 6 AWG bare copper conductors constructed of a grid of course as the name implies. I design them so the cables runs underneath each equipment line-up. Then from each equipment rack you connect it to the grid with a # 6 AWG. The grid should be bonded to every steel building column, ac panel ground bus, water pipe, conduit, cable rack, ect, and most importantly the Xo of the transformer(s) supplying the equipment. The purpose of the grid is not necessarily to lower the impedance to earth, but rather than lower the high frequency impedance between equipment racks and the transformer.

Don’t get hung up on too large of sizes of grounding conductors. They will not lower the high frequency impedance. A 6 AWG exhibits about the same impedance as a 750 MCM at frequencies higher than 10Khz. All that is needed is one large enough to handle the likely fault current imposed on it at DC or 60Hz

You mentioned TVSS grounding. There are no special requirements for grounding these devices. I do not suggest using a grid or any other ground structure such as a signal ground for TVSS grounding. Most disturbances are in the differential mode and ground is not involved except at the service entrance. Just use a service entrance class C device with L-N modes only, and then use class B devices with all mode protection at the sub-panels and transformers.

Hope that helps DERECK

dereckbc

Staff member

AudioCableGuy, I design data centers and use UPS systems up to 750KW. You can use IGR if you wish, but they are not required for dedicated circuits from a UPS. In most case IGR will only create more problems than they can solve. IGR is only useful for common mode noise. A UPS is the best common mode rejection device you can get, next would be a transformer. Best bet is to run dedicated circuits in EMT with an EGC. If you must run IGR the IG should originate where the N-G bond is located at then keep isolated.

Good Luck Dereck

Wow Dereck, that's info! Thanks for taking the time to explain! You have sparked many questions relating to the planned layout. The building will contain many specialty audio/video suites all with LAN ties and matrixed A/V lines. They need to be interlaced with zero noises, buzzes or pops. The saving grace is the server room is the central hub for all of this. Same panel and transformer for all the suites. Off to re-think a few things! Thanks Guys!

dereckbc

Staff member

If there is A/V involved you may want to use IGR. Or if you want really low noise ground use what the recording and telecom use Balanced Power systems.

ron

iwire,
I have not seen a clear recommended practice for isolated ground recepts, probably because I haven't specified them (nor done recent research on them) in years.
The original post didn't indicate IG circuits, just a dedicated ground, so I would still suggest providing the room's central ground point, connected back to the principle grounding point of the building, whether it be the water pipe/rods/steel/etc.

brian john

audio:

What you DO WANT TO DO is make sure your installing contractor UNDERSTANDS what you want and that the system is installed properly per the NEC.

We inspect, test and trouble shoot problems all the time where customers have gone to great lengths to have a CLEAN ground. They still are having ground current problems (net current). Most of these problems are grounding errors. Many times the great lengths were gone to, due to past power problems, which were created by improperly installed systems.

Unless there is an over riding factor driving the need for IG’s and isolated grounds it has been my expierence to KISS (keep it simple………….)

Status
Not open for further replies.