SER cable in town homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corybeard1

Occupation
Contractor
Looking for code reference on running ser cable from unit to unit in town homes that are individually owned. Not apartment buildings. They still have adjoined party walls.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

SER is allowed to pass through another unit's space.

Code specifies that which is restricted or prohibited.

Corybeard1

Occupation
Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

SER is allowed to pass through another unit's space.

Code specifies that which is restricted or prohibited.
Looking for the code reference. These are not apartments where there is one owner. These are town homes that are individually owned but still attached. I am under the impression that you can not cross party walls with ser cable or any other items other than fire sprinkler lines.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I think he is more concerned with the legalities of having someone else’s utility running through one home. Since he said that each unit (although connected) are actually owned by different people. In which case it may not be a NEC issue, it could be pursued in a legal fashion as some kind of Easment.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Not allowed in this area. In some cases the inspectors have allowed a second meter supplied by a separate service.at the 2ndteonhome . In other sitaution the meters were locsted on a property line and services (or feeders) run outdoor with easements to each unit.

kwired

Electron manager
I think he is more concerned with the legalities of having someone else’s utility running through one home. Since he said that each unit (although connected) are actually owned by different people. In which case it may not be a NEC issue, it could be pursued in a legal fashion as some kind of Easment.
I agree NEC alone doesn't seem to prohibit this. Local codes I could still see leaning toward keeping one owners items out of the other owners space as much as practical.

Often these kinds of properties have sufficient fire walls between them to consider them separate buildings for all practical purposes. Why would you want to penetrate that barrier is also something to consider. And if they are considered separate buildings they can each have individual service run to them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.