seperatly derived systems in 1 j-box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unionman379

I am working on a project installing ATS's in an existing facility. I have been asked to capture the existing wiring and extend it to the new ATS switches. They are also requesting that I use the same box for utility and generator power. I am looking for a code section that will give me the proper interpretation for this issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated..

iwire

Staff member
If service conductors are involved 230.7 is worth a look.

If emergency system conductors are involved 700.9(B) is worth a look.

ibew441dc

In addition to the sections Iwire mentioned, the application of this rule may also be of some help.

300.3(C) Conductors of Different Systems.

Changed From 2005

•300.3(C): Clarified that ac and dc conductors operating at less than 600 volts can be installed in the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway.

(1) 600 Volts, Nominal, or Less. Conductors of ac and dc circuits, rated 600 volts, nominal, or less, shall be permitted to occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway. All conductors shall have an insulation rating equal to at least the maximum circuit voltage applied to any conductor within the enclosure, cable, or raceway.

Exception: For solar photovoltaic systems in accordance with 690.4(B).

FPN: See 725.136(A) for Class 2 and Class 3 circuit conductors.

(2) Over 600 Volts, Nominal. Conductors of circuits rated over 600 volts, nominal, shall not occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway with conductors of circuits rated 600 volts, nominal, or less unless otherwise permitted in (C)(2)(a) through (C)(2)(e).

(a) Secondary wiring to electric-discharge lamps of 1000 volts or less, if insulated for the secondary voltage involved, shall be permitted to occupy the same luminaire, sign, or outline lighting enclosure as the branch-circuit conductors.

(b) Primary leads of electric-discharge lamp ballasts insulated for the primary voltage of the ballast, where contained within the individual wiring enclosure, shall be permitted to occupy the same luminaire, sign, or outline lighting enclosure as the branch-circuit conductors.

(c) Excitation, control, relay, and ammeter conductors used in connection with any individual motor or starter shall be permitted to occupy the same enclosure as the motor-circuit conductors.

(d) In motors, switchgear and control assemblies, and similar equipment, conductors of different voltage ratings shall be permitted.

(e) In manholes, if the conductors of each system are permanently and effectively separated from the conductors of the other systems and securely fastened to racks, insulators, or other approved supports, conductors of different voltage ratings shall be permitted.

Conductors having nonshielded insulation and operating at different voltage levels shall not occupy the same enclosure, cable, or raceway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.