Seperation of data and electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

ongmark

My companies IT department is stating that they want to start a standard for a seperation of 16-18" from any electrical systems to prevent EMI but they are unwilling to quote any standard or documents that support this criteria.

Does anyone know of a standard or code that would address this issue.

ongmark

Re: Seperation of data and electric

I was hoping to gather just a little more information than a web link.

If the 16-18" clearance is a standard, you are looking at another total seperate racking system from electrical.

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: Seperation of data and electric

There are standards, and there are minimum NEC requirements. They are two separate issues. NEC requirements are only for safety, not operation. Operation is covered in standards.

I work in the Telecom sector and we have our own standards we developed. Yes, it requires ELP to be separated via raceways from data, voice, alarm, etc. Typically the AC power is ran under raised floors, lighting on the ceiling, and the rest overhead on cable racks above the equipment racks.

There are many good sources for standards. Tellcordia, BICSI, ANSI/IEEE, and TIA all provide them for a FEE. Many of the larger telecom/data companies develop their own standards derived from the above organizations or personal experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.