Separately derived system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Thank you so much! That’s going to work perfect! Do you think I should try and bond the water main even though they’re not sure if it’s copper or pex coming into the building?
I'm sure you won't forget to bond on both sides of meter as the seals break any potential bond through meter.
I'm ignorant on this product so please be patient with me on this question, does this product need to be in an enclosure or can it be exposed? One view might be bus connections have to be protected like in a panel; another view is grounds many times can be bare copper, so it can be mounted in an accessible exposed location.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Just curious, why are they using a switched neutral for a garden variety genset install?
Good point. An installation using a portable genset which by UL standards must start off with its own ground/neutral bond will benefit from a switched neutral, while a fixed installation which allows removal of an ground neutral bond that may be part of the genset can avoid this complication.
If there is a provision to connect a portable genset for backup protection while maintenance is done on the fixed genset, then it is probably a good idea.

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
I'm sure you won't forget to bond on both sides of meter as the seals break any potential bond through meter.

I'm ignorant on this product so please be patient with me on this question, does this product need to be in an enclosure or can it be exposed? One view might be bus connections have to be protected like in a panel; another view is grounds many times can be bare copper, so it can be mounted in an accessible exposed location.
Which meter are we talking. Electrical or water meter? If I understood texie correctly I should be able to set it outside, and doesn’t have to be in an enclosure. Also it can be used at the inter bonding system for cable guys etc...

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
Good point. An installation using a portable genset which by UL standards must start off with its own ground/neutral bond will benefit from a switched neutral, while a fixed installation which allows removal of an ground neutral bond that may be part of the genset can avoid this complication.
If there is a provision to connect a portable genset for backup protection while maintenance is done on the fixed genset, then it is probably a good idea.
So the genset on site isn’t portable... the transfer switch has no solid neutral making it a sds... separately derived system. Do you have insight to why you use a switched neutral transfer switch vs a solid neutral. This generator powers a tire shop/gas station. I didn’t know if because of the gas pumps that a separately derived system should be installed? I’m also doing another generator that I have designed the install for. In that set up I have a large portable genset on a trailer, and I used a solid neutral transfer switch making it a non separately derived system... This genset powers motor loads only. It is used because our poco goes out all the times and we need to be able to keep our corn covered with tarps in case of an outage...

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
Just double triple checking to make sure the sizing on all the other grounding conductors is done correct. They have ran 2 paralleled #4 copper egc’s between the 400a service disconnect to the ats, and also from the ats to the main distribution panel. As I understand these should be sized on 250.122 on the 400a breaker at the service disconnect and should be at least #3copper? They also have a #4 main bonding jumper inside of the service disconnect from ground to neutral lug. This should of been sized on 240.102(c) and should be at least #2 copper because the service entrance conductors are (2) paralleled 250kcmil aluminum conductors... “over 250 through 500 aluminum column” I just wanted to say again how much I appreciate everyone’s help, and patience! Thank you guys! If anyone sees issues with terminology I have used or sizes please let me know!

Attachments

• 00209FF4-261D-4C60-9965-C720F72C29BA.jpeg
    00209FF4-261D-4C60-9965-C720F72C29BA.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 7

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
this is the bus bar i have decided to purchase because its a little less in price. anyone see this being an issue?
Perfect. But I think you could do better on price than Zoro at your regular supply house.

Status
Not open for further replies.