Separate structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshephard

I have looked a bit, but still...

Residential: my worst example...
A main house, a breezeway pad, and then a garage. Breezeway often roofed, maybe even screen-porched. Final looks like single structure, we know built in stages. (My foundation AHJ says within 5 foot is same structure.)
For NEC purposes, can I find an authoritative definition?

THX

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
I believe the NEC is either vague or very definitive on this; depending on which way you look at it. "structure, separate" is not defined in Art 100 definitions, so you're left with the AHJ's interpretation of what "separate" means here. That could either allow for wiggle room to go either way in your scenario for example, or make it blunt to the word separate.. i.e. 'separate' means 'separate'... if they're connected, they're not very 'separated'... clear as mud?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO if they're connected by a breezeway there is no way that they are separate structures.
(My foundation AHJ says within 5 foot is same structure.)

I'm not sure what this even means. In some places there are houses less than 5' apart.

tshephard

What I meant was I know I called the foundation inspection group once and they told me within 5 foot was same structure - so ties, etc were required.

But in my general case for electrical, where does time play in?
I could make a case that my breezeway, if poured concurrently, made the house/garage a single structure.
If planned / on the plans...?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It has nothing to do with time. If there is a roof connecting the structures then they are usually considered one unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.