Self contained pump station

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLP1911

I have a landscaping customer that is putting in an above ground self contained gasoline pump with a 500 gallon tank, does this meet all the requirements of 514? The manufacturer said most people just run an SO cord to the control box. That doesn’t seem adequate to meet and definitely doesn’t comply with 514. The tank will be about 100’ from building/panelboard feed. So I have to trench and install underground conduit to feed this. Any help is appreciated.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It is definitely subject to the requirements of Article 514. [See Section 514.1] and NFPA 30A, Code for Motor Fuel Dispensing Facilities and Repair Garages, overall as well. (Your client's insurer should evaluate it)

I would also check for NRTL certifications per UL 87, Standard for Power-Operated Dispensing Devices for Petroleum Products. (You don't have to actually do the evaluation here, just look for the NRTL certification)

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Manufacturers have been saying this (most people just run SO cord) for decades. They just want to sell stuff.
Indeed. Something I've also said for years about some non-compliant installations "The odds are in your favor that you won't have a problem, but if you do, it will be a BIG one." That's why I recommended having his client's insurer review the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.