seeing voltage where it shouldn't be

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a phenomenon in addition to a different problem with excessive voltage showing up on my neutral line.
When I shut off my breaker and isolate my 3 phases (120/60) from the end of my cable, I read around 5 volts on my connector at all 3 phases to ground. Just to eliminate what I could, I pulled the other end of the cable off the breaker which left just the neutral hooked up, as it is not hooked into the breaker. Took measurements again and found the same thing.
Could 5 volts @ 30-50 amps on neutral be enough to see voltage on the phase lines via induction, and if so could this cause problems in the system?

pwhite

Re: seeing voltage where it shouldn't be

i am assuming(there's that word again) that this is a 3 phase environmant to start with.
are there any devices that store energy?
vibratory welders, vfd's, power factor equipment?

i had a job where i read 68 volts on all 3 phases. turns out a vibratory welder had a 3 phase capacitor. it took 5 minutes for the voltage to bleed down.

scott thompson

Re: seeing voltage where it shouldn't be

arclightzero;

Please elaborate (add more details) to this scenario. I am really interested in what you're discussing here - only I am having trouble following the story (sorry).

* Where are you reading the 5 volts at (location from panel which the circuitry is derrived);

* Are other loads / circuits in the same raceway or sharing the common grounded conductor;

* Are there any Eq. Grounding Conductors included with the raceway(s), or are measurements done to the raceway(s) only;

* Are you using a High Input Impedance DVM;

* Have you tried shunting the tester's leads with a fixed resistor;

* Any possibility of a "Re-grounded Grounded Conductor" on this Branch Circuit.

Just a few Q's

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.