Securing 8 12-2 romex cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1GMB

Occupation
Telecommunications Engineer (Master Electrician)
Hopefully, I can get some recommendations for what works the best for securing eight runs of 12-2 romex NM cables. I'd like to "stack 'em" for a neater installation, and I have eyed using the GB (Gardner Bender) MCS hangers. From what I have researched, these hangers meet the NEC requirements set forth in Article #334. OK, good, but they are plastic and the "arm" section that folds over and clamps is notched on one end to allow for easy bending. Because the construction is made of plastic, I am concerned about stresses and breakage over time. I have used these hangers before in runs in attics and noticed over time that the arms have popped open. (The NM romex cables were actually secured with these hangers every 3.5 - 4.0 feet), within the 4.5-foot securing rule. Any ideas and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. BTW, the horizontal runs are less than 15 feet. Thanks!!!!!

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Arlington has a similar one without a snap over arm, but frankly, these are generally concealed locations and once installed they should not be used more, so who cares if the "pop" open later?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I prefer the one-piece type, from 3M, Ideal, and others. You can replace the nail with a screw for steel studs.

(I love finding my own pictures on the 'net.)

1667024589497.png

1667024611262.png

1667024653250.png

1667024827321.png

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Often times I would cut a block of wood and install it between the studs on the flat. Then I would nail my cables to that. It usually takes about 2 blocks from a switch.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don' think anyone addresses the issue but the "stak-it" instructions actually call for a limited number of cables. (I don't recall the esact number but it's less than you often see installed) :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I may be looking at something incorrectly but that does not appear to offer 1-1/4 set-back.

1667047672323.png

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Yeah I often fill 'em up with 8, 2 per slot, not sure if the destructions say you can do that😞. I'm going to electrician hell no doubt
It was a matter of curiosity... during inspections I would often see so many the have "popped out".. as Starsthead notes: "no big deal;" but it did cause me to look at the instructions on a bag and I was surprised at the limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.