Screen in porch wood framed nec code question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajr188

Occupation
electrician
Good morning all,

I am in the process of wiring a screened in porch that was built off the back of someone’s house as a replacement for a deck. It is basically a addition off the back of the house but will not be closed in with windows. The ceilings will be covered with ship lath as well as the walls. My question is is this considered a damp location do I have to use UF ? Even though the walls will be enclosed as well as the ceiling. Also do I have to use weather proof covers

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Me too, my question is running UF in the walls that is going to be closed is not a issue correct !? Can I fail for running UF as opposed to romex.
UF cable can be used in any location where NM cable is permitted.

Ajr188

Occupation
electrician
^^ Because there is no insulation in the walls and there is no windows it is all screens. Therefore if it rains it would be considered “ damp “

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Imo, if the wiring is behind the framing then nm cable should be compliant. I have never seen anyone run UF to an overhead light or fan on a screen porch. It shouldn't be any different.

Ajr188

Occupation
electrician
Imo, if the wiring is behind the framing then nm cable should be compliant. I have never seen anyone run UF to an overhead light or fan on a screen porch. It shouldn't be any different.
What about the walls, they are non insulated, and if it rains… it would get wet inside. I don’t care about spending the extra few dollars in UF. I care if I were to fail the inspection.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What about the walls, they are non insulated, and if it rains… it would get wet inside. I don’t care about spending the extra few dollars in UF. I care if I were to fail the inspection.

If rain is getting inside the walls you have other problems bigger than the wire. What does non-insulated have to do with it.

Ajr188

Occupation
electrician
Understood. All i am saying is when it rains it would be wet / damp in this area. Which is why I asked about using UF instead of romex. If it’s not necessary it is better for me I save money and time stripping and the UF win win.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Understood. All i am saying is when it rains it would be wet / damp in this area. Which is why I asked about using UF instead of romex. If it’s not necessary it is better for me I save money and time stripping and the UF win win.
You know the environment better than us. If you believe that the walls and ceiling is permiable to water and or moisture and it's a damp environment then do what you need to do.

retirede

^^ Because there is no insulation in the walls and there is no windows it is all screens. Therefore if it rains it would be considered “ damp “

I call BS. If it gets damp inside the walls, you’re going to have a moldy, rotting mess. The wiring will be the least of your problems.

But I think you’ve already made up your mind…
Using UF won’t hurt anything g.

Ajr188

Occupation
electrician
I call BS. If it gets damp inside the walls, you’re going to have a moldy, rotting mess. The wiring will be the least of your problems.

But I think you’ve already made up your mind…
Using UF won’t hurt anything g.
I have no issue using romex I just didn’t want to fail.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have no issue using romex I just didn’t want to fail.
Call the inspector if you are worried or just use UF. I would bet that some inspector may turn you down for it and you will have to fight. It happened to me but I won the fight when I had the states head engineer behind me.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
Sounds to me like you know the answer is to just run UF and be done but you are trying to talk yourself out of it. Also sounds like a very poor design and the homeowner is going to be sorry in about 10 years they ever did this.

Status
Not open for further replies.