Schuko amperage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
In some countries, i.e. Switzerland, anything above 10A must be hard wired, no plug / receptacle. So the "10/16A" just means "16A, unless your country says no-no, in which case it's 10A".

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
In some countries, i.e. Switzerland, anything above 10A must be hard wired, no plug / receptacle. So the "10/16A" just means "16A, unless your country says no-no, in which case it's 10A".

But it doesn't have anything to do with 10 amps continues 16 amps short time? BTW, thanks! I never knew the swiss hard wired above 10 amps. Ill stick to our 60amp NEMAs:D:p

fmtjfw

10A is the DC rating, 16 the AC rating. So these are probably load-break ratings, since DC is no harder to run through a plug than AC

You typically see a rating of:
Code:
~
= 10A 250V

- 10A 250V

~ 16A 250V

I assume ~ means AC, - means DC, and I have no clue about ~/= unless that means AC continuous load.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
"With the use of the plug Schuko system, it is assumed that a voltage of 207 V to 253 V ( nominal voltage : 230 V, tolerance ? 10%) at 50 Hz (tolerance ? 2.5 Hz) is available. The plugs, sockets and extension leads in the household sector are usually designed on 16 A short-term electricity load, which is equivalent to 230 V a power of 3680 W. For continuous load only 10-12 A are allowed depending on the design of the socket / plug. For continuous load 230 V / 16 A / 6 h, only the "camping or caravan connector" specified.
Simply by about twice the nominal voltage, the Schuko-system - for physical reasons - at the same wire cross sections and rated currents approximately twice the power than the US-based 110 V-blade connector system"

Basically, I get the notion 16 amps is short term (say 3 hours?) while 10 amps in continuous?

fmtjfw

need a grounding pin?

need a grounding pin?

somewhat off topic: If, for some reason you need a grounding pin without the rest of the plug (ground a radio antenna, or testing purposes) the power pin of a Shucko is perfect. (Well not really the NEMA round grounding pin is 4.7625 mm and the Shucko power pin is 4.8000 mm, probably well within the manufacturing tolerances.)

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
somewhat off topic: If, for some reason you need a grounding pin without the rest of the plug (ground a radio antenna, or testing purposes) the power pin of a Shucko is perfect. (Well not really the NEMA round grounding pin is 4.7625 mm and the Shucko power pin is 4.8000 mm, probably well within the manufacturing tolerances.)

They are interesting beasties to say the least. The French version even has a ground pin that sticks out of the wall socket, and mates with the plug when inserted.

Goofy IMO:

Last edited:

norcal

They are interesting beasties to say the least. The French version even has a ground pin that sticks out of the wall socket, and mates with the plug when inserted.

Goofy IMO:

That one takes care of the ground up/down debate if they have those discussions.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That one takes care of the ground up/down debate if they have those discussions.
Oh, no! is it not that simple. You can still have the discussion in their equivalent of MH about whether you mount it with one ground up and one ground down or one ground down and one ground up. :)

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Oh, no! is it not that simple. You can still have the discussion in their equivalent of MH about whether you mount it with one ground up and one ground down or one ground down and one ground up. :)

:lol: Theres that.

Anyone know if the wiki article is correct?

fmtjfw

Goofy IMO:

They were designed to NOT mate with DE Schuko plugs. However a hybrid plug was devised which works with DE and FR outlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.