Schedule 40 pvc underground exit schedule 80 pvc

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Most projects I worked with kept the type of pvc consistent for the entire run. However I was wandering that due to cost what are some thoughts of going schedule 40 pvc for underground trenches to run wires and exit schedule 80 for exterior protection of wires. Obviously the inner diameter will be reduced on the end portions of the run in order to protect the wires and may affect pulling difficulty, overall conduit fill limitations, etc etc. also there is no special coupling fittings for this and the bell ends of the Taylor different rated PVC will connect correct?

MTW

For protection of the exposed above ground ends, when necessary ,I use steel rigid SCH40 with a bonding bushings at the termination ends.
In today's terms I can't speak to the cost difference, but the protection is better, and the fill rate stays the same.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Since the OD's are the same the bell ends should fit with either type of PVC.
That’s what I thought. What about the smaller inside diameter schedule 80 pvc? Wouldn’t this make the schedule 80 pvc required larger and therefore the entire project pvc sized up, to meet the at least the 40% conductor fill?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
If you are so close on fill that going to Sch 80 will put you over the fill limit, your conduit is too small. What the code allows for fill and what is practical are different

Last edited:

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
That’s what I thought. What about the smaller inside diameter schedule 80 pvc? Wouldn’t this make the schedule 80 pvc required larger and therefore the entire project pvc sized up, to meet the at least the 40% conductor fill?
yes

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You would just use the Sch80 interior area for your fill calculations.