Schaum's Outline Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
These were popular when I was at University, 1980.

WasGSOHM

Occupation
EE
I had one on numerical methods for managers and one on statistics.

Occasionally I need them but they're gone.
The Internet hasn't exactly lived up to it's promise for a reliable source of useful information.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I had a few, between senior year high school and college. The volume on differential equations was as opaque as my DE textbook. They are probably still kicking around here somewhere.

WasGSOHM

Occupation
EE
When I look at my class notes, in my own handwriting, I can scarcely believe I was ever able to solve those problems.
What took me 20 minutes with reasonable confidence is now a day with 50-50 confidence. :(

gadfly56

Occupation
When I look at my class notes, in my own handwriting, I can scarcely believe I was ever able to solve those problems.
What took me 20 minutes with reasonable confidence is now a day with 50-50 confidence. :(
Ain't it the truth? I can't believe how smart the kid that I was appeared based on my notes. Whatever happened to him? 😭

WasGSOHM

Occupation
EE
Whatever happened to him? 😭
He is [and I am] being replaced, molecule by molecule. :(

Predict what will happen next and prepare.

We get junk mail from assisted living places.
They're like vultures circling overhead.
If they start calling our house, I will say bad things about their mothers. It may work, as long as I don't make a physical threat.

gadfly56

Occupation
He is [and I am] being replaced, molecule by molecule. :(

Predict what will happen next and prepare.

We get junk mail from assisted living places.
They're like vultures circling overhead.
If they start calling our house, I will say bad things about their mothers. It may work, as long as I don't make a physical threat.
I'm turning 65 this year. Everyone and his brother is trying to sell me Medicare part B & D supplements and "donut hole" and "gap" plans.

The pre-planned funeral crowd have been sniffing around for years. I wonder if they know something I don't? :eek:

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I had a professor (nice guy in other aspects) who lectured out of Schaum's Electronic Circuits book. The class was also at 8AM. I decided I didn't need that and sent my assignments in with my roommate and only showed up for the exams. What I hadn't banked on was that the professor knew who I was (small school) and noticed when he wanted to hand back my assignments that I wasn't ever there. I got a whole stack of papers when I showed up for the midterms.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I found a term paper from my 1985 BS degree program (typed). I am not sure I wrote it, no typos, very well written. but thats all I did, like bending conduit you get better if you do it all the time

WasGSOHM

Occupation
EE
The pre-planned funeral crowd have been sniffing around for years. I wonder if they know something I don't? :eek:
There is a program called APACHE II which predicts if a person will walk out of the hospital or be carried out.

For non-patients there’s no shortage of data. Don’t give up your DNA to anyone.

I can tell you to 50% likelihood that you will live longer than 12 years and all I need is your age, a mortality table and a pencil and paper.

As to molecules, look up "the ship of Theseus"
We are mutating into some other person. . .:(

WasGSOHM

Occupation
EE
Found a paper copy of a life table from 2014 from National Vital Statistics Report, Vol. 66, No. 4, August 14, 2017.
Your tax dollars at work. I probably got this with a phone call. I think they were surprised to hear from a commoner like me.

For non-hispanic, white, U.S. resident, 65 YO male, it’s 50% they live to be 85.

For that same 65 YO, a 10% chance to live to 96 and a 10% chance to die within 7 years.

The devil is in the details.

I am not an actuary, nor do I play one on TV. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.