Satellite dish and microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael

I'm not sure in this is the thread.But my question is.I have a home owner with a satellite dish.Every time she turns on her microwave here tv shows that she has no signal.As soon as she shuts the microwave off the signal returns.The microwave is about 15feet from the tv.She has another tv in her bedroom and it is unaffected by the microwave.2 separate lines to each tv,and two separate receivers.Any suggestions as to what the problem might be.The people that installed the dish said that they did not know what the problem might be.Thank you in advance for any help.

hurk27

Re: Satellite dish and microwave

Microwave ovens and satellite's are very close in frequency. If the microwave oven has enough leakage signal it can over power the week satellite signal. It sounds like she needs to have the microwave tested for leakage and/or just replace it. They can be dangerous if they have to much leakage!

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Dunno about that. I have never heard of any problems caused by microwaves leaking RF. I think it's actually a priority that manufacturers design these things so that it would be real tough for this to happen unintentionally. Add to that the fact that the TV and sat receiver are fifteen feet away, it just doesn't seem likely but...

First thing I would try is the old extension cord trick. Plug the micro into an extension cord plugged into some other circuit and part of the house and see what happens. If no dice then move the micro with it plugged into the original receptacle with the extension cord. If the problem goes away get rid of that microwave!

-Hal

hurk27

Hal I had one once that had a bad filter cap on the power supply for the mag. the oscillation at micro frequency's was modulating the supply wiring to the oven via the current draw. :roll: It was causing all kind of problems and the home owner was getting a warm feeling if he got to close the the power cord. :eek: At least now they have a fail safe for that problem.

bob11746

In the old days, microwave ovens leaked from the door..... A dirty door flange, and leakage was guaranteed. Also, it does take much energy (safe levels) to wipe out a sat dish.

My guess is that she has a dual LNB, feeding the two receivers.. Not likely that the microwave energy is getting into one LNB and not the other. So my guess it is the RF level input to the TV that is the problem. This is assuming they are not using composite video inputs. I think it is less likely that the problem is coming over the power lines.

Look for a bad shield in the coax, or coax run to close to the microwave. One lead might be coming down the side of the house on the other side of the wall of the microwave, the other might be going over the roof to another bedroom.

aelectricalman

Does she have a son with 3 ears and 7 toes on one foot? I think I know this lady. :eek:

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric

A simple way to confirm/deny interference in the cable line, swap the two LNB lines outside. See if the problem follows the line or stays with the set. :cool:

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric

Sorry, dumb idea, swapping the cables outside won't tell you anything (unless the problem is between the SAT dish and the grounding clamp at the side of the house (I doubt that) :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.