satelite dish on power pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregoryfast

I am dealing with a customer who has attached a satelite dish to a power pole. Can anyone help me to cite a specific code that would preclude this?

charlie

Re: satelite dish on power pole

No, it is permitted by the NESC if done properly. I am betting that it is not done properly and the electric utility (I assume it is the pole owner) does not know about the installation. Please notify them of the installation to verify the pole can handle the additional transverse loading.

For the most part, IPL does not permit foreign attachments on our poles. :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

No NEC code, but the POCO can and may remove it, if and when they see it.

EDIT
Sorry Charlie, I was typing as you were posting. :)

Roger

[ October 07, 2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

gregoryfast

I work for the POCO and I was trying to come up with a reason for them not to have it on our pole. There are right of way issues and attachment issues. I was feeling there was a basic safety issue, but maybe there isn't?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

The satellite dish itself needs to be grounded. The grounding is to the building electrical system. For this reason alone mounting the dish on the pole is impractible due to the distance to the grounding system.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Nothing in the NEC but the overriding factor here is that the pole isn't this guys property. He has no business putting the dish on it and I can't believe that whoever owns the pole (POCO or TELCO) wouldn't hesitate to remove it.

...Please notify them of the installation to verify the pole can handle the additional transverse loading.

You mean that they would actually consider it? Okay, MAYBE if the pole is on private property but I've actually seen these things on poles on the street in front of the house.

I know a guy who used to work for the cable company who used to kick off basketball backboards when they were in the way. Tough to gaff up the pole with unauthorized attachments in the way.

charlie

You mean that they would actually consider it?
It is permitted by the NESC but it is up to the owner of the pole whether or not to permit the installation. The IPL standard states, "Most requests are for the purpose of communications or surveillance cables. As a matter of Company policy, such requests will usually be denied (see exceptions below). All cases are to be reviewed before any attachments are allowed. The Section Leader, System Improvements (that's me :D ), will approve the request before assigning to application to a Project Designer to be engineered."

I am making the assumption that most utilities are similar and would not permit an antenna on their pole.

G

Is the pole on private property? If so, who owns the pole?

charlie

Originally posted by awwt:
Is the pole on private property? If so, who owns the pole?
Wayne, I am speaking for utilities in general (electric and telecommunications) and not for privately owned poles. If a pole is owned by a private company, my comments are moot and the whole issue becomes an NEC problem.

I say it is a problem since the NEC does not address the loading and clearance issues that are in the NESC. The NEC does refer to the NESC in a FPN (90.2(A)(2) FPN)) but that is not enforceable.

gregoryfast

The pole belongs to our utility company. The pole is located on a borough (like a county) road right of way.

I was trying to come up with a reason to not allow it. I was thinking there might be a safety issue. Certainly the fact that it is not grounded is a good point.

I thank everyone for their comments.

gregory

rickcham

Greg

On other place to look on the rules for hanging items off utility poles is to ask the utility themselves, In my past life working for a utility we had a rule that forbid any items mounted to electric poles unless written permission was granted.
This gave us the reason to remove any items(basketball hoops, yard sale signs and such)which would prevent a lineman from safely scaling up and down a pole
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.