safe working distance from unprotected light bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakers

Hello,

I'm with the corporate safety department of a company in upstate NY, and I've been asked what the safe working distance is from an unprotected light bulb. Can anyone answer this question? Thank you.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: safe working distance from unprotected light bulb

Why? What do they mean by "working distance"? What do they expect to happen? Where is the light bulb installed? Incandescent or other?

Rather a vague question don't you think?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I can say that it is not a question for which an answer can be found in the NEC. It may be addressed in an OSHA rule or in a local safety rule. It appears that the notion of ?safe working distance? would be based on (1) The fact that the bulb has nothing around it to prevent it from being struck and broken, and (2) Keeping the worker far enough from the bulb to reduce the chances that the work activity could accidentally cause the bulb to be struck. That type of concern would be strongly influenced by the nature of the work. If you are swinging a hammer, you might need 3 feet. If you are carrying a ladder, you might need 20 feet. I might be willing to wager the cost of a diet soda that there is no law or safety rule that would answer your question.

nvcape

NEC 410-90. Exposure to damage: Lamps shall not be located where normally subject to damage. Beyond this, there is no way you want to bump into a live filament, especially in the dark!

Status
Not open for further replies.