RV Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I am overthinking this, I have a 30 amp 120V RV outlet to install from a 120/240V subpanel, fed with 2 hots and a neutral, with the neutral regrounded at the subpanel. I know a mobile home has to be a 4 wire feed from the service, what about an RV?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
A 30A RV is only a single pole circuit. 30A single pole breaker, #10 wire, 30A RV receptacle. It does not need two hots, only hot, neutral, & EGC.
A 50A RV receptacle is the same as a stove receptacle and requires 4 wires. Even though only single pole circuits are used for the 50A, it splits them up so that two A/C units can run.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I think Tom is saying that the 2 hots, neutral and panel are already there and lacking a separate EGC and just wants to add a 30 amp/120 RV outlet.
Of course today that violates 250.24(A)(5) but this is existing. Does the existing panel have a GES?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Are there 120V 15 or 20 amp receptacles connected to this subpanel? If so, the trailer receptacle is done the same way but with #10 wire. Hopefully the subpanel was wired properly at the time (at a separate structure, no grounded metal paths between the structure and service building, ground electrode system at separate structure).

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Agree with others,m it's just a 120v 3wire circuit (L-N-EG). If the existing subpanel was installed under hat is now an exception to 250.32, you have little choice but terminate the N & EG at the same point in the panel..

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
its an old feeder, not ground rods. Should be replaced, can't put replacement panel in the small pump house, not enough head room.
Unless you need more spaces for even more circuits, I would just put in the 30A SP breaker to feed the RV receptacle and not worry about it.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Pump house for a well? A well casing would be an adequate substitute for a ground rod.
But the first question that comes to mind is whether there's 30 amps of unused capacity? What's the ampacity of the feeder; what's the OCPD rating?
And how much current does the RV actually consume?

Status
Not open for further replies.