Rule 40 Circuit Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Canadian sparky I'm curious how your rule on 40 cct max. panels work for American's. Here any size is permitted, I've installed numerous 60 CCT and up panels. On large houses you must end up with two or more panels? What are your thoughts on this rule and is there a good reason for it? Also does this rule apply to residential only or commercially as well ?

Re: Rule 40 Circuit Panel

On large houses, I install a 320A meter base and a 400A service. The 400A service has a 200A Main breaker that feeds it's own breakers, and a 200A breaker with lugs to feed a second panel.
----or----
I install a 320A meter base and split it into a 225A, 42 space panel, and a 200A, 40 space panel.

I did some work in a 22,000 sq. ft. house in Frisco, just north of Dallas, TX, and it had 5-200A, 40-space panels. Heck, it had a 100A subpanel just for the swimming pool, which incidently, had 8 underwater speakers.

Dion Sanders built a 38,000 sq ft. house just north of there in Prosper, TX, a real small prarie town. When he went up there to scout for land to build his home, he asked the city council, "Where do my brothers live at up here?" They were so country they replied,"Dion, we didn't know you had any family living in Prosper."

[ June 18, 2004, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: ShockedOneinAZsun ]

Status
Not open for further replies.