Round Meter Socket...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I received a call from a customer wanting a letter or some type of documentation for his Home Owners Insurance Co., renewal time, concerning a round Meter Socket ahead of a 100A panel. I can't tell if the I.C. is questioning the Meter Socket or that the Service might only be 60A because of the round Meter Socket.

The Riser conductors appear to be at least a #4 or #2 CU. Inside the LB below the Meter the conductors are #2 CU.

Any help with this would, as always, be welcomed.

peter d

Chances are the service is well past its useful life if it has a round meter socket. I suspect that's what this inquiry is about. If it is, I would simply say the service is old and needs to be replaced if it shows obvious signs of deterioration and non-compliance.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Chances are the service is well past its useful life if it has a round meter socket. I suspect that's what this inquiry is about. If it is, I would simply say the service is old and needs to be replaced if it shows obvious signs of deterioration and non-compliance.

100A round meter sockets are still available brand new.

https://www.infinigi.com/ge-kwhr-me...bNCj_uyYVmAz12NBIcdeqw3EmCrPPTTGP6xoCv37w_wcB

roundmeter.gif

user 100

I received a call from a customer wanting a letter or some type of documentation for his Home Owners Insurance Co., renewal time, concerning a round Meter Socket ahead of a 100A panel. I can't tell if the I.C. is questioning the Meter Socket or that the Service might only be 60A because of the round Meter Socket.

The Riser conductors appear to be at least a #4 or #2 CU. Inside the LB below the Meter the conductors are #2 CU.

Any help with this would, as always, be welcomed.

K8MHZ already hit it in post #3 about the round base being a 100, but the myth that all round bases are or were only intended​ for 60 a svcs is pervasive. There was a thread on this here recently in the General forum I think that covered this pretty good- most of the members who responded agreed that looking at the sec size was the best way to determine ampacity, iirc and it sounds like you have a true 100 a svc in front of you.

Also there is a difference between an old service in good condition that has and will continue to be safe and sufficient versus a dangerous relic- give it a check up.:D

user 100

I've seen them in the Milbank catalog, but I can assure you that in my area a round meter socket means an old service that needed to be upgraded decades ago.

Those things may still be available for purchase and undoubtedly 100 amps is more than enough for many homes fed also with gas but the question as to installing one in new construction is "Why???".

I don't think I have ever seen one installed new or even as a replacement- the most recent round bases were still being installed regularly was likely during the Kennedy administration.

Occupation
Inspector
K8MHZ already hit it in post #3 about the round base being a 100, but the myth that all round bases are or were only intended​ for 60 a svcs is pervasive. There was a thread on this here recently in the General forum I think that covered this pretty good- most of the members who responded agreed that looking at the sec size was the best way to determine ampacity, iirc and it sounds like you have a true 100 a svc in front of you.

Also there is a difference between an old service in good condition that has and will continue to be safe and sufficient versus a dangerous relic- give it a check up.:D

The Meter Socket in place has 1-1/4" threaded hubs. The 60A Sockets I've seen in the past had 3/4" to 1".

I was present one time when the meter was pulled from a round base on an older service. The jaws stuck to the meter and separated from the back of the enclosure due to corrosion.
The home owner could ask the utility to provide an inspection if concerned about safety.

user 100

The Meter Socket in place has 1-1/4" threaded hubs. The 60A Sockets I've seen in the past had 3/4" to 1".

Then the socket is without a doubt 100, but that wouldn't exclude the possibility of someone using still using smaller than #3 or 4 to supply it- though in your case they didn't.:)

user 100

I was present one time when the meter was pulled from a round base on an older service. The jaws stuck to the meter and separated from the back of the enclosure due to corrosion.
The home owner could ask the utility to provide an inspection if concerned about safety.

During the move away from analogs, saw a couple smart meter installations where the tech would have to fight the bite the old bases had and then would just jam the new meter in there-surprising there wasn't more problems from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.