rough-in range and dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

Is there a standard method for roughing-in the range and dryer receptacle boxes? New construction, I even thought about running pipe to the range location and pulling THHWN.

What about box type and size? 2-gang? metal? Plastic?

Height off the floor? Centered?

I do not have the models yet.

Thanks!

480sparky

Freestanding or drop-in/built-in range? Finished wall, or surface mount on the basement wall? Is the wall concrete or framed studs? Metal or wood studs?

kwired

Electron manager
Is there a standard method for roughing-in the range and dryer receptacle boxes? New construction, I even thought about running pipe to the range location and pulling THHWN.

What about box type and size? 2-gang? metal? Plastic?

Height off the floor? Centered?

I do not have the models yet.

Thanks!
Each installation has it's own reasons to do it one way or another. I have done pretty much everything you have mentioned at one time or another.

480sparky

free standing range, 30 inch. finished wall, wood studs. Pretty standard residential kitchen.

I do a 2-gang nail-on box attached to the bottom plate. This puts the receptacle at a 90° angle so the cord lays flat on the floor without bending the crap out of it.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I do 2gang box mounted no more than 8” from floor to top of box and keep them off the center by 6” each way where-ever there is a stud, and/or keep at least 3” from the sides of stove opening. This usually proves to work 99% of the time with any range out there.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For the range the receptacle is required to be accessible by removing the bottom drawer on the range so as others have suggested the box mounted to the bottom plate works well.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We surface mount most of the ranges we wire. Leave wire in crawl and bring it up when the range is there so we can avoid any obstacles. We see alot of dual fuel ranges so you need to avoid the gas lines. If you have a spec sheet that works great as long as they don't change their minds halfway thru...

Status
Not open for further replies.