Room Height and electrical point heights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jyo abraham

For a room of fixed height main switch will come
in middle of room according to code.Aesthetically also this is perfect.But as room height varies ,I am confused on where comes
eg-lighting,fan,s/w,conduit position etc.
Any body could explain for 3mtr,4mtr,5 mtr height
rooms where comes these points as per code
and aesthetic reason of that if any.

Len_B

Re: Room Height and electrical point heights

REPRINT FROM OLD FORUM

Email this page to a friend or associate! Mike Holt Code Forum
NEC
outlet height

register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Information Topic: outlet height

Name: Robert Wilson
Email: bwilson@hoover.com
Title: Electrician
In Trade Since: 1976
Total Posts: 1
posted February 13, 2003 at 07:58 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there a required height for stand wall outlet 120 volt 15/20 amp residential and\or commerical in the electrical code? If so where? If not is there a industry standard? What is the reference?
Thank you

IP: 12.23.221.66

Name: Len Bonosevich
Email: lennyelias@earthlink.net
Title: Electrician
In Trade Since: 1976
Total Posts: 185
posted February 13, 2003 at 10:01 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, but,
Typically 44 - 46" to bottom of switch boxes.
10 - 14" to bottom of recepts except in gararges where 18" to bottom of box is "trade standard"(based on mechanical code requiring heating systems to be elevated due to gas fumes). Many prefer 52" in garage (over height of sheet goods laying against wall)

There is NEC requirement for countertops - not to exceed 18" above countertop. I think you can find it under required receptacles in Art 210

Check out ADA, Americans with Disablities Act for HUD multifamily etc.

see this thread: http://electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002500.html

Len

IP: 209.245.101.236

Name: David Newton
Email: dana1028@yahoo.com
Title: Electrician, Inspector
In Trade Since: 1985
Total Posts: 157
posted February 13, 2003 at 12:57 PM
ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) does have requirements for recep/switch heights - see copy of a previous thread below:
Receptacle Mounting Height

Question: Mike, I am an apprentice electrician and I was told that the 1999 NEC requires wall-mounted receptacles for commercial buildings to be mounted so that the bottom of the cover plate is no less than 15 inches from the floor. Is this True?
Mike Answer: No. There is no NEC requirement on the height of wall-mounted receptacles in residential, commercial, or industrial facilities, but?.

American Disabilities Act Requirement

The Code of Federal Regulations 28 Part 36 (American Disabilities Act) in Section 4.27.3 states that electrical and communications system receptacles on walls shall be mounted no less than 15" above floor. However, the exception indicates that this does not apply to receptacles not intended for use by building occupants. The maximum height for receptacles and/or switches is between 48 and 54 inches, depending on the conditions, see Section 4.2.5 and 4.2.6 of the ADA.
From: Tracey Leach-Casey tleach@swinerton.com <mailto:tleach@swinerton.com>

Building Codes

The N.E.C may not have requirements for receptacle heights, but if the jurisdiction you are working in enforces CABO/ANSI A117.1 1992 for Accessibility, Section 4.25.3 (exception) states: Electrical and communication system receptacles on walls shall be mounted 15 inches above the floor unless the use of special equipment requires location at a different position. The ANSI standard is referenced in the 1997 U.B.C section 1101.3.

Regarding the question on the 15" receptacle height: The Uniform Building Code 1106.3.3 on Accessibility for the handicapped uses 15" to 48" for operating control heights within Section 1106 dealing with lighting controls, electrical receptacles, environmental controls, security and intercom
systems. You would have to read UBC 1103 to see if your occupancy type applies, but it generally covers commercial structures.

If you have any additional comments, let me know Mike@MikeHolt.com.

IP: 132.189.76.130

All times are EST (US)
next newest topic | next oldest topic

Contact Us | Mike Holt Enterprises, Inc.

FOR MORE INFO -----
GO TO OLD FORUM, http://www.mikeholt.com/cgi-bin/forum/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=NEC&number=1&DaysPrune=30
USE "SEARCH" LINK IN UPPER RIGHT OF PAGE, TYPE IN RECEPTACLE HEIGHT

cselectric

As the previous poster delved into ADA compliance and the like, I'll skip the code part of the question and address it on a different level. I understand the asthetic value you are looking for here, but I also see where it can work against you, at least if you are referring to an installation in a home with multiple ceiling heights (vaulted ceilings etc.) The one hard, fast rule of thumb to remember is that all switches in a home should be the same height. This isn't a code requiement, just a simple rule that addresses human nature. Lets say you have a home with 8 foot ceilings, and switches at 48 inches (which does work out to be centered.) Then you have a master bedroom with a ten foot vaulted ceiling. If you attempt to center your switch for asthetic purposes, putting it at 60 inches, I guarntee you that the homeowner will miss that switch every time they reach for it. Subconsciously we all develop a mental routine regarding our environment. We become accoustemed to things being at particular heights and subconsciously reach at that height. A switch that is placed above or below the height of other switches in the home will cause the homeowner to slap at the wall instead of flipping the switch, for exactly the same reason that an odd sized step on a stairway will cause a person to fall on their face.

jyo abraham

Thanks for both replies.
What I meant was in lines of 'cselectric'.
Depending on average user height,aesthetics of
room,I believe all the code is made.Conduit race
way,Ceiling fan height,Chandlier height etc surely
depend on room height.

luke warmwater

Jyo, ceiling fan height is not to be below 7ft. regardless of room height. In vaulted ceilings of say 20-22ft. we normally use a 5ft. downrod, 6ft.max. If you drop the fan too low, it won't get the heat off of the ceiling.
As for chandeliers, in a foyer, most people want the fixture to hang in center of window for asthetics. This isn't always the best location to light the foyer properly.
Chandeliers in dining room are typically 3ft above table to bottom of fixture. This normally lights the table well and gives room for center piece on table. As well as giving good view to others sitting at table.
Is this what you were looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.