Rooftop A/C lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No lighting is required to illuminate equipment outdoors. I believe because a receptacle is supposed to be handy nearby so a trouble light could easily be used. With all the battery tools that is hardly necessary any more.

iwire

Staff member
FWIW the gas codes (at least around me) require a light at gas fired equipment.

So a roof top A/C unit equipped with a gas heating section would require light.

I often see jelly jar fixtures with cages.

8e073f3a35e0afa90cae4910292fac2e.image.250x250.jpg

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW the gas codes (at least around me) require a light at gas fired equipment.

I think you'll find that the gas code (NFPA 54 or CMR 248) require a light at the roof access when there is gas equipment on the roof. But this is often misinterpretted as requiring a light at the equipment.

iwire

Staff member
I think you'll find that the gas code (NFPA 54 or CMR 248) require a light at the roof access when there is gas equipment on the roof. But this is often misinterpretted as requiring a light at the equipment.

That could be it.

I just know we have had to install them to get final inspection regardless of the fact they were not called for on the prints. :)

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

NFPA 54 8.4.3.4
Permanant lighting shall be provided at the roof access.The switch for such lighting shall be located inside the building near the access means leading to the roof.

IFGC
No lighting requirements

renosteinke

Great cite! I was not aware of such a requirement, and I doubt I've ever seen such a light on a rooftop.

As I see it, such a light is a great 'add on' or 'value added' feature. Would you place in on the outside (as in the pic), or within the compartment you need to open? Would you add a timer, or other means to ensure that it doesn't stay on unnecessarily?

I wonder how accepted NFPA 54 is, or whether this requirement is shared by the ICC codes. I also wonder about the application of the requirement where your 'access' is by setting your ladder against the wall of the building.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Great cite! I was not aware of such a requirement, and I doubt I've ever seen such a light on a rooftop.

As I see it, such a light is a great 'add on' or 'value added' feature. Would you place in on the outside (as in the pic), or within the compartment you need to open? Would you add a timer, or other means to ensure that it doesn't stay on unnecessarily?

I wonder how accepted NFPA 54 is, or whether this requirement is shared by the ICC codes. I also wonder about the application of the requirement where your 'access' is by setting your ladder against the wall of the building.

The "I" codes mirror the verbiage so ICC, IFGC, and IMC for equipment mounted on roof only require a light at entrance and outlet within 25' of equipment.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Yes I have seen it required in the gas codes. I have seen a few lights on roof tops but it doesn't seem like it is enforced very much at least around here

Status
Not open for further replies.