Roof mounted solar panels . What type of roof is best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

We have half our plant roof that is flat type of spray foam and other half is tar with rock gravel on top . Corporate is talking about replacing the whole existing roof 200k sq ft and then installing solar panels . Any recommendations for type of roof that works best for eventually adding the solar panels to ?

BandGap1.1eV

White EPDM or TPO. I've heard anecdotally that you can claim the 30% tax credit on the cost difference between installing a white roof versus a traditional black EPDM, so long as you use bi-facial modules. Consult a tax attourney on that.

Get a structural engineer in there during the process to determine the dead load capacity of the existing roof structure.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
We have half our plant roof that is flat type of spray foam and other half is tar with rock gravel on top . Corporate is talking about replacing the whole existing roof 200k sq ft and then installing solar panels . Any recommendations for type of roof that works best for eventually adding the solar panels to ?
Tar and gravel is especially bad for ballasted racked PV systems.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think I would be mostly worried about if it is going to leak or not.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What do you mean by ballasted racked PV systems ? Do you mean held in place by weights ? Trying to get the pro's and con's about different roof systems and having PV systems attached to them ...
Yes, that is what I mean. Ballasted racking systems depend on evenly distributing the weight of the array under the pans that hold the concrete ballast blocks. Tar and gravel roof surfaces concentrate the array weight into point loads where the pans are in contact with the individual rocks, so they are more prone to causing leaks.

Davebones

Yes, that is what I mean. Ballasted racking systems depend on evenly distributing the weight of the array under the pans that hold the concrete ballast blocks. Tar and gravel roof surfaces concentrate the array weight into point loads where the pans are in contact with the individual rocks, so they are more prone to causing leak
I wonder if that is allowed by Florida building codes ?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
You could research that. I rather doubt that code actually speaks to it directly. It probably comes down to having a reputable engineer stamp a design and the AHJ accepting the engineering. Since the design windspeed will have to be the max in Florida (hurricanes) as compared to some other places, having enough weight to hold down the system is something which the roof would be less likely to support (may or may not be solvable with reinforcement). FWIW I recall a ballasted racking manufacturer touting their systems surviving hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico in 2017; I realize PR is not FL. Also FWIW in California you don't need as much weight for the wind uplift but the have additional requirements (attachments and/or distance from edge of roof) because they are worried about the whole thing sliding to the edge of the roof in an earthquake, which they may not worry about in FL.

You could research that. I rather doubt that code actually speaks to it directly. It probably comes down to having a reputable engineer stamp a design and the AHJ accepting the engineering. Since the design windspeed will have to be the max in Florida (hurricanes) as compared to some other places, having enough weight to hold down the system is something which the roof would be less likely to support (may or may not be solvable with reinforcement). FWIW I recall a ballasted racking manufacturer touting their systems surviving hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico in 2017; I realize PR is not FL. Also FWIW in California you don't need as much weight for the wind uplift but the have additional requirements (attachments and/or distance from edge of roof) because they are worried about the whole thing sliding to the edge of the roof in an earthquake, which they may not worry about in FL.
Yeah I dont think it is black and white. I have worked on quite a few ballasted systems and most of them have at least a few attachments. You can have more attachments and less ballast or vice versa, or both if you are modeling a high wind speed.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I have heard from customers ... That when get estimates for a solar system, if roof is more than 15 years old. They should include replacing their roof at the same time.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I have heard from my customers when they ask for an estimate ... if the roof is over 15 years old. They should include replacing the roof before installing solar.

Status
Not open for further replies.